How would you change the Lumia 720?
Just like the Star Trek movies, we’ve mostly preferred the even-numbered ranges of Nokia Lumia handsets to the odds. We heaped praise on the 620, for example, with equal vitriol being poured onto the 520 that nestled beneath it. The 720 suffered the same fate when we reviewed it, finding that no matter how gussied-up the outside was, the low-power internals were an instant turn off. But what about you? It’s likely that plenty of you only had room in your budget for this device, so was the experience as bad as you’d expected?
- double the ram to 1gb: things got better with 8.1, but still often apps don't save their state during multitasking
- fix the yellow tint of the camera: incredibly annoying post processing error
- up the display resolution to 720p and the camera to 8mp
- small cpu upgrade
- battery life
- touchscreen that can be used with (regular) gloves
I mean, I can't see why I need to play Unreal-powered-visually-impressive (yeah, as a handheld title) on my mobile phone.
Phone is for calling, texting/SNS, browsing some web, on-the-go services like weather/map/transit, and maybe taking some pics.
And hey, 720 can handle them.
WP8 is absolutely beautiful, runs smoothly on this less-powered device, and most importantly (IMO) for a mobile OS, consumes less battery than its rivals.
The size is great and fits into my hand quite well. I find that the material used works very well and the phone is comfortable to hold.
It could use a little more internal memory as I have had one app crash often and this is most likely a result of the limited capacity. Generally speaking, not much else I use is bothered by it.
The camera works well and the software (using WP8.1) provided/downloaded is very easy to use.
Battery life is fantastic, although considering I am not what I owuld call a heavy user, having to charge every few days may not be typical for some.
I currently have an iPhone 4 for work and my previous phone was a HTC Desire HD. Neither of these phones comes close to my 720 in terms of what I need to do.
Owning the 720 means that I will be going WP next time as I find the OS quite useful and I prefer the look and feel of WP compared to the others. I would have purchased the 920 but I have become accustomed to the Glance screen and now I will only choose a phone that supports this... perhaps the 830 when it is released?
- As the 5 and 6 series, must have a replaceable battery, essential for business users, no idea why you would leave this out, I always carry a spare battery in my C7 and E72 that I can just pop in immediately if necessary, no need to wait and waste business time.
- Dual SIM card slot, we need this in a higher end phone. More business users want their business SIM and personal SIM in the same phone so that they do not need to carry 2 phones, or else spend hours each month reconciling personal calls from their business phone monthly statement.
- Longer battery life
- Hardware key for phone stop / start (as C7, E72, etc)
- Flashing LED on front to alert for incoming SMS are missed phone calls (as C7, E72, etc)
- Ideally at least one model with a slide out hardware keyboard such as E7, etc. Many people really cannot type out emails on a screen and need a keyboard for accuracy and speed, PLEASE! Stop all trying to copy Apple for goodness sake!
- We don't all want massive screens, not all of us have handbags, we have trouser pockets and a 3.5" or 4.0" screen is maximum!!!