Back in May Foursquare announced that they were splitting their app into two, keeping place recommendations with the Foursquare while shunting check-ins over to a new app called Swarm. Now that the summer's almost over and we'd all had a few months to adjust to this new way of doing things, how's it going for you? Did you even install the new app, or are you holding out as long as possible? Did you uninstall Foursquare entirely? For those who have made the switch, what do you like about the new apps? And what would you change?
- It sucks that you can locate a place on Foursquare, then when you actually get to said place the app has to switch back to Swarm to let you check in. It's just silly that Foursquare says they split the apps because the two actions are separate when in this case, they're directly connected.
- Recommendations aren't great. I've been doing the thing where I tell Foursquare what I like so I can get better recommendations, but it's not making much of a difference in the recommendations because Foursquare keeps listing the same five places near me anyway. This might be a restaurant density issue, as near my apartment is going to be more scarce than say, Greenwich Village or Williamsburg. But it's actually more important to me to find new places near where I live than when I'm in Manhattan or elsewhere in the city.
- Search isn't great, either. I searched for "arcade" and instead of prioritizing actual arcades in the results, it gave me a list of places that had arcade machines. Not what I was asking for, Foursquare.
- One of the ways I find new places I want to try is by looking at where my friends check in. Of course, now I have to be shunted from Swarm into Foursquare. It's really inconvenient because again, this is one of those times where place lookup and checkins were directly connected.
- Lists need to be surfaced better; to find my lists I have to go to my to-do list first, then access my other lists. My to-do list would be too long and completely unusable if I put every place on it, but right now the separate lists are too hard to get to to be useful (it would be nice if the recommendations surfaced "this place is on X list" more).
- Even with the updated app, Swarm still eats too much battery life.