Share your impressions of Mario Kart 8!
*tap tap* Hey, is this thing on?
Whenever I talk about Nintendo, it sounds like the audience gets smaller and smaller. We know this, Nintendo knows this, and despite this, they keep on keeping on.
No matter though, Nintendo recently released Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U! Those of us who grew up playing the original Super Mario Kart on the Super NES have very fond memories of the game. So, how does Mario Kart 8 compare to that classic game of the past?
If you've purchased it, share your impressions below! Good? Bad? Should I buy a Wii U for it?
In the meantime, we're live streaming the game here as we play it. Check it out:
You just had to bring this up, didn't you? Do you know how much this release pains me? I can't express how much I love my Mario Kart. I've owned/played every iteration of the franchise, and I can't tell you how many hours I've spent next to friends playing these games. I also unlocked every last piece of the Wii version.
...but I don't own a Wii U...
I don't have any latest-gen console, and if I did, it would be the Wii U because of the first-party titles (like this one). But I still don't own one. Sadly, I don't see it happening soon, either.
I still think that the experience of playing Mario Kart in the same room as the people you're racing against is the best multiplayer experience. That might make me old school, but there's nothing quite like the experience of being in first place, getting blasted by a blue turtle shell, having someone just beat you by a hair, and then giving that person a whack in the arm.
It's that last part that's key :)
So I apologize, Dave. I'd love to be able to tell you my joy at playing this game, but I can't because I don't own the system. More importantly, nobody I know owns the Wii U, so even if I did buy one, none of my previous Mario Kart friends are going to get enough time with the game to get competitive with it.
1. Racing is fun, courses are interesting!
2. Doesn't seem as item-imbalanced as Mario Kart Wii was. This is good
3. Lots of stuff to figure out and unlock. What do coins do?
4. Kart customization is fantastic. I can put slics on my Kart and drift all around
5. Battle mode is terrible, and the player with the Wii U gamepad is the only one that can see the map. How fair is that? Racing opposite directions around courses is not fun.
6. Tried once to connect to the wifi network to race online, and got disconnected before I got into a race. I'll chalk it up to busy first day servers.
7. Again, racing on a TV with friends locally is fun!
That said, I would LOVE to try the game.