At present, I'm bouncing between the free versions of Rdio, Xbox Music, Spotify, Songza, iTunes Radio, and Pandora.
Wouldn't mind subscribing again to one service to reduce ads, but on the other hand, these days I rarely have long portions of time just to listen to music (even in the backgroud).
I have used iOS, Windows Phone, and Android devices. Presently back to using an iPhone.
Wondering what your thoughts are about this comparison, which is based on my experience & opinions...
- I like the looks of the interface the best and find it most intuitive
- Social integration is useful & helpful
- The iOS and Android apps (when I used them) were clean and fairly reliable
- Works super well in the browser (convenient if you switch machines a lot)
- Family plan pricing is nice
- sign-in DRM gets out of the way
- Occasional catalog gaps, though nothing that bothers me too much
- Hiccups with offline mode on iOS and Android app from time to time
I've never tried the Windows Phone app but judging from reviews, the app has been sadly neglected and experience is frustrating.
- Huge catalog
- Momentum - interesting apps provided as part of the service
- Large user base
- FREE mobile streaming! Yay!
- I like the radio stations
- Best experience on desktop app
- Browser streaming support is a little glitchy
- iOS app performance can be glitchy
- Windows phone app performance & features are lacking
- Social integration can be a little obnoxious
- A few weird UI choices (what is the point of starring something?)
- I don't like having a messaging app & an inbox to manage inside my music app
- Huge catalog
- Nice integration with Windows OS
- Cloud Sync your collection + streaming
- Still works with my Zune HD!
- It's frequently possible to get a deal on a yearly subscription; even so $99/year is a pretty good deal.
- iOS and Android apps are lacking
- Desktop client UI evolves way too slowly; I think they prioritized form over function...it's good enough for streaming one album but not optimized for playlists.
- Quirky UI on windows phone (why are some options only available in one view vs another??)
- Sign-in rules are annoying; limited to only 4 devices
- Radio station playlists are pretty limited & repetitive.
- The suggested & curated playlists are really good - usually enough for my needs when I'm at work and need something to listen to or work to
- Windows Phone app seems to only let me log in with facebook, not my user name + ID (I'd really rather NOT log in with facebook credentials if the option is given)
- Pretty decent suggestions based on the artists I like
- I don't like the ads
- I do not always have an iDevice convenient to use this
- Not very useful when I'm driving in the car
- Clean & simple
- Good if I'm really feeling like one particular artist/style
- I don't always like/agree with the suggested music mixed in
- I don't like limited skips and the ads
I haven't tried yet (though again, with all of the above, I'm not really hurting for options here):
- Google Music