ENGADGET'S "INSERT COIN" CONTEST
NO PURCHASE REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia) and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 13 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees of AOL Inc. and its respective subsidiaries, affiliates, parent companies, distributors, divisions and agencies, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void in Quebec, Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law.
2. SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by AOL Inc., 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 ("Sponsor").
3. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor which are final and binding. Winning a Prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. TIMING: The entry time is from 1:00 PM EDT on April 17, 2014 until 11:59 PM EDT on September 26, 2014 (the "Entry Period"). Entries received prior to or after the Entry Period will be disqualified.
5. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, go to http://www.engadget.com/insert-coin/ and follow the instructions to submit your new product. In order for your entry to be considered, it must meet the following criteria:
Existing products / updates to existing products will not be accepted.
Products must fall within Engadget's coverage scope, as determined by Sponsor.
Products must have a hardware component and not be purely software or web services in origin.
Inventors who are selected as Semifinalists will need a working prototype or other presentation for a team of Engadget editors ahead of the event.
Simulations or product renderings will not suffice to enter Insert Coin; what you have to show to us must be functional.
No products from major manufacturers will be accepted.
Company can be pre-crowdfunded, post-crowdfunded (successful or unsuccessful), or currently running a crowdfunding campaign
Company cannot be angel, VC, or otherwise traditionally seed/series funded, actively seeking such funding, or otherwise close any such round of funding before November 8.
Company must have announced their product after the submission for the last Insert Coin competition closed (11:59 PM EDT on 09/27/13)
Company must not have shipped any products to customers.
Entry must be the original work of entrant and must be owned by entrant. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party's pre-existing work does not qualify as entrant's original creation. Entries cannot defame, invade or violate the publicity rights or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal, moral or proprietary rights of any kind whatsoever. Any entrant whose entry includes any third party's name, likeness, trademarks, trade names, logos or any other elements not owned by the entrant must be able to provide a legal release for such use, including Sponsor's use of such entry, in a form satisfactory to Sponsor. See Section 13, Rights to Contest Entries, for additional information.
6. JUDGING: All entries will be judged by Engadget editors according to the following criteria (the "Judging Criteria"): Project connection on an emotional level, Project connection on an intellectual level, Project connection on a behavioral level, Market potential, Ability of creator / team to deliver it to market, Level of solution (coarse to refined), Social impact, Environmental benefits and Ingenuity. Twenty (20) entrants will be selected as "Contenders." In the event of a tie, the entries involved in the tie are subject to review by an additional judge who will serve as a tiebreaker and who will evaluate entries according to the Judging Criteria. Decisions of judges are final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select less than twenty (20) Contenders if, at Sponsor's discretion, an insufficient number of quality entries are submitted.
7. NOTIFICATION OF POTENTIAL CONTENDERS: Entrants who are notified that their entry was selected are Potential Contenders. Potential Contender is not a Contender until he / she has returned all required documentation and his / her eligibility has been verified by Sponsor. Potential Contenders must comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. Potential Contenders will be notified by US mail, email and / or telephone. If a Potential Contender cannot be contacted / has not responded after the first attempt to contact him / her, the entrant with the next highest score will be deemed a Potential Contender. Except where prohibited, a Potential Contender may be required to sign and return to Sponsor, within a time period to be specified, an affidavit of eligibility and liability / publicity release and W-9 form in order to claim their Prize and proceed to the next stage of the Contest. If a Potential Contender fails to sign and return the documents within the required time period, the entrant with the next highest score will be deemed a Potential Contender. In the event a Potential Contender is deemed a minor in his / her state of residence, his / her parent or legal guardian must complete the paperwork on the minor's behalf.
8. DETERMINATION OF SEMIFINALISTS: Engadget readers will have the opportunity to vote for 10 Semifinalists from the 20 Contenders in order to determine the 10 Semifinalists who will then be invited to go on the stage at the Engadget Expand event and pitch their new product to the judges. Voting Period will begin on 10/8/2014 and end on 10/15/14 (the "Voting Period"). The 10 Contenders with the highest number of valid votes at the end of the Voting Period will be deemed the Semi-Finalists (subject to verification).
All online voting in this Contest will be under the supervision of the Sponsor whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this Contest. Any voting results posted in real time shall not be deemed official until Sponsor has reviewed and confirmed all of the votes and announced the Semi-Finalists. Use of script, macro or any other automated system to vote is prohibited and all such votes will be void. Entrants are prohibited from obtaining votes for any Submission by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public, vote farming or any other activity that artificially inflates such Entrants' votes as determined by Sponsor at its sole discretion. Entrants are prohibited from sabotaging the votes of any Submissions through any means deemed inappropriate by Sponsor, at its sole discretion. If an Entrant or voter engages in any of the aforementioned acts, his / her votes will be void, and his / her Submissions (if any) will be disqualified. In the event of a tied score in the Voting Period, the Entrants involved in a tie will be reviewed by an additional judge appointed by the Sponsor who will serve as a tiebreaker and who will evaluate the entries according to the criteria listed above. Becoming a Finalist and / or Winner is subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with all terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules.
9. DETERMINATION OF WINNER: The Contest Winner will be determined at the Engadget Expand event. One winner will be determined by the judges' votes (Judges’ Choice Winner) and the other winner is determined by the event audience vote (Readers’ Choice Winner).
10. PRIZES: Ten (10) Semifinalists will be invited to attend the Engadget Expand event taking place November 7-8, 2014 in New York and will receive a $1,000 travel stipend. If a Semifinalist, for any reason, cannot or does not wish to attend the Engadget Expand event, then the prize will be forfeited in its entirety and the Semifinalist will be disqualified from participating any further in the Contest. Travel stipend is to be used for airfare, hotel accommodations, meals and / or other travel-related incidentals. Semifinalists are responsible for all costs exceeding the $1,000 travel stipend.
One (1) Readers' Choice Winner will receive $15,000 and a product review on Engadget.
One (1) Judges’ Choice Winner will receive $10,000 and a product review on Engadget.
Prizes are nontransferable and must be accepted as awarded. Prize recipients are solely responsible for any and all applicable fees and taxes associated with Prize receipt and use.
11. GENERAL CONDITIONS: In the event that the operation, security or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, at its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the Prize from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address from which the entry is made. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. A potential winner may be required to provide Sponsor with satisfactory proof that he / she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the potentially winning entry.
12. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited by law, participation in the Contest constitutes winner's consent to Sponsor's use of winner's entry, name, likeness, voice, opinions, biographical information and state of residence for promotional purposes in any media without further payment or consideration.
13. RIGHTS TO CONTEST ENTRIES: Submission constitutes Entrant's certification that the entry is their own original work and does not infringe the intellectual property or proprietary rights of any third party, including, without limitation, any third-party patents, copyrights or trademarks ("IP Rights"). Entrant hereby agrees not to instigate, support, maintain or authorize any action, claim or lawsuit against the Released Parties (defined below), or any other person, on the grounds that any use of the entry as provided herein, infringes any of entrant's rights as creator of the entry, including, without limitation, trademark rights, copyrights and moral rights or "droit moral." Submission of entry grants Sponsor, AOL, and their agents a right and license in perpetuity to reproduce, publish, display and use any submitted entry for promotional or demonstrative purposes on any AOL web properties. In no way is Entrant to be construed as the agent of or to be acting as the agent of Sponsor in any way. Nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture or partnership relationship between Entrant and Sponsor.
14. RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY; INDEMNIFICATION: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, AOL, their officers, directors, employees and agents (the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties' liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney's fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct or indirect damages. Entrant further agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all third-party claims or causes of action arising out of, or in any way related to, Entrant's product and AOL's use thereof as authorized herein, including, without limitation, any claims of infringement of IP Rights.
15. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, Entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules; Entrant's rights and obligations; or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
16. CONTEST RESULTS: Contest results may be obtained by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Insert Coin Winners, c/o Engadget, 333 Bush Street, 23rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94104. Requests must be received by December 8, 2014.