- Features The Fire HD has everything I would want in a tablet: good screen, good speakers, video out and the ability to side load Google Play apps.
- Display Very nice, especially compared to the OG Fire, but I find it to be a bit...off. Also, there is some backlight bleed through in the corners.
- Battery life Not bad, but you're definitely paying the price for the upgraded tech in the HD model. Generally I seem to get a day and a half of moderate to heavy use.
- Ease of use Some settings are buried in menus farther than they need to be, but overall it's not too shabby. I wish the carousel wasn't the focal point of navigation.
- Storage capacity For what I mainly use it for (light gaming, books, video streaming), the 16 GB option is more than adequate.
- Design and form factor I actually prefer the feel of the OG Fire over this one, but the speakers, camera and physical buttons make up for it.
- Portability (size / weight) Light enough to hold for a while and small enough to be easily toted around. I love the 7 inch form factor.
- Durability Seems like it could take some abuse, but also doesn't feel as tank-like as the old Fire.
Also, it's worth noting that if you have a Google Play equipped Android device and a Dropbox account handy, you can sideload a lot of apps that make the Amazon App Store situation more than bearable.
0 people find this review helpful