how to download chrome os onto xp pro
I would recommend JoliCloud as a Chrome OS alternative on 3rd party hardware.
This is basically exactly like a Chromebook/ChromeOS.
Changing the default shell (only current user):
1) Open regedit -- START > RUN and type in regedit
2) Navigate to -- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
3) Add a new string value called 'shell' -- RIGHT CLICK in the right-side pane > New > String Value > type 'string' with no quotes
4) Set the value of 'string' to the path of the new shell. For XP, it should look like (include the quotes here):
"C:\Documents and Settings\testing\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
5) Log out and log back in and enjoy.
To change this for all users of the system, replace HKEY_CURRENT_USER with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and replace explorer.exe with the path to chrome.exe.
Use CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the Task Mgr where you can run tasks and switch apps.
Use the Windows Key [WINKEY] + 'E' to bring up Explorer if you need to access files.
Use [WINKEY]+R to bring up the Run dialog...etc.
Then go crazy - bring up the Run dialog, open services.msc, and start disabling all the random Windows services that you don't need. ;) Probably ought to know what you're doing here, as it isn't too tough to cripple your system if you disable the wrong service.