Question about
JeffreyJJohnson

iPhone just submerged in water, any hope?

My iPhone 3G was completely under water for about 15 seconds, it has been dried off (on the outside of course) and tried getting excess water out by shacking it and after someone called I powered it down. A friend suggested covering it with rice to help pull away the water.

My question is, is there any reason to think it might work again or do I give up and get a new phone? Has anyone had this happen where it turned out ok?

sort by

10 answers
eudamon

Yes I have saved 2 iphones this way. ziplock back, fresh dry rice. place iphone in bag submerged in rice. close it and wait about 2 days.
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

panZ

I'd also consider removing the battery as soon as humanly possible to prevent corrosion.There are great take-apart/battery replacement guides online but it basically requires you take the two screws out of the bottom and suction cup off the glass screen. After that, you'll want to remove excess moisture from the inside with a towel to prevent any minerals or chemicals in the water from being left behind when the water evaporates, finally, let the rest of the unit dry slowly as eudamon suggested (don't apply heat).
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

mwswartwout

the rice in a bag should work. If worst comes to worse you could try baking it in tinfoil. I've heard faint rumors that it works, but could very well destroy the phone once and for all. I'd try that as a last resort.
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

qyiet

Corrosion is your biggest worry here long term. As well as the rice for wicking water placing it anywhere with really low humidity would also be a good plan. I suggest the hot water cupboard.
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

Munk

Similar thing happened with my 2g touch. Rice trick dried it and then I was advised to charge it for 48 hours! but it did work by the end of it.
Gl.

-----

I would not advise taking apart the battery. a) you'll have to be really careful b) from my experiences, Apple tends to void warranties even if you sneeze near their products!
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

dave

I've heard the rice trick works fantastic, providing your phone hasn't already been shorted out and that you can also take it apart to allow the rice to soak up water from the inside.

Like another user above, I've also heard that putting the phone in your oven at the lowest setting (125 degrees Fahrenheit or so) for around 5 hours helps to evaporate any water locked up inside the device. It could potentially make sense, as you want to create a dryer and hotter environment that's conducive to water evaporation.

However, I haven't been able to find anything to verify that now that I've been looking. It's an interesting theory, but not sure how much I'd recommend it, especially with a large LCD screen that is potentially susceptible to heat.

Anyone have more information or tips on this?
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

happyschneider

I would not recommend to put it in an average oven. The temperature there is more a guess than actually a set limit. If you have acess to lab equipment maybe try that but I would recommend to do everything at room temperature.

First thing is to immediately turn off the device (I know, too late for you but maybe someone else is reading along who can use it). Remove battery if possible and thoroughly clean the contacts (on the battery and the device). Some people recommend to actually dump your device (after removing the battery) in de-ionized water, not water from the tap! Doing this, you can remove any salts that actually would attack your devices metals. However, most people I talked to who had similar problems never did it and they were able to bring back their devices from the dead. Then put the device and some rice into a sealable plastic box. I would not put the phone directly into the rice since it will leave rice crumbs in the phone which you don't want. Just put a kitchen paper in between. Alternatively, instead of rice, use some silicagel. This is a chemical which you get in little sachets with most electronic devices. You can also buy it at drug store. This is extremely efficient in removing water from the air and is reusable (put in oven to dry again, some have an indicator which goes from blue (active) to white (inactive) when used to dry stuff). In a sealed box it will remove any liquid in your device indirectly. Definitely let it dry for at least 2 days before you turn the device on again! The longer you wait, the better.
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

happyschneider

PS: warranty will by void anyway after dropping it in water, at least here in Switzerland...
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

Munk

Aight so this isnt exactly the iphone, but one can probably use the tips and apply them to other gadgets:

www.allaboutsymbian.com­/news­/item­/8466­_What­_to­_do­_...

--------

From personal experiences, if your ipod/touch stops working due to ant form of water/moisture then apple wont fix it. A friend took his iphone into a sauna, no water just steam and 20 mins in his device bricked. When he took it into the apple store they said that the device has a moisture sensor according to which he submerged his phone. Long story short, he put it in a zip-lock bag of silica gel pellets for a few days and it worked. Although it did tend to heat up but my friend suspected that was due to upgrading the firmware to 2.1! (:s).
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

JeffreyJJohnson

The phone works for the most part now, thank you all for the help the rice trick seemed to work. The only thing that does not work now is the top power button so no soft resets for me. I was afraid to take it apart so only put it in a bag of rice for three days.

Looks like I should be eligible for the upgrade on the 13th of December, so I may be getting a 3GS (which someone pointed out may have been a subconscious reason that it happened).

Again thank you all.
mark as good answer

0 people like this answer

This answer has been removed.

share:

9 users following this question:

  • happyschneider
  • JeffreyJJohnson
  • dave
  • Munk
  • eudamon
  • sexlover
  • panZ
  • mwswartwout
  • qyiet

This question has been viewed 15782 times.
Last activity .