Not sure how we missed this multi-part interview earlier this month, but Charlie White of HD Issues sat down with Mark Knox (pictured) for a candid interview on HD-DVD. Mark is an Advisor to the HD-DVD Marketing Group, and while we know what marketing groups do, there are some nuggets of information and perspective in the article such as:
- HD-DVD expects that the PS3 will be the biggest Blu-Ray driver (and we're already hearing that's going to be late despite Sony's response).
- What the HD-DVD Marketing Groups stance is on 1080i vs 1080p and why there isn't a big 1080p push just yet.
- Why Blu-Ray NEEDS 25 GB of storage per layer. Hint: Sony wants to use MPEG-2, right?
- A simple to understand example of how Managed Copy could work.
- The cost drivers between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray manufacturing.