While August yields some noteworthy NPD data in terms of hardware sales, the games populating the top twenty spots in the software chart provide the most interesting commentary. Before we get to that, however, we should gaze at the gargantuan pile of cash that represents the U.S. game industry. GameDaily BIZ reports that total sales climbed to $993 million dollars, a 46% increase over the same month last year, with hardware sales alone reaching $302 million.
Nintendo's Wii once again sold the most units, followed by the DS and a now cheaper Xbox 360. Microsoft had best hope the jump in sales extends to more of a protracted hover, as it seems the PS3 has already come down to Earth following its July "clearance sale."
- Nintendo Wii: 403.6K (4 million total)
- Nintendo DS: 383.3K (12.7 million total)
- Microsoft Xbox 360: 276.7K (6.3 million)
- Sony PlayStation 2: 202K (39.1 million total)
- Sony PSP: 151.2K (8.3 million total)
- Sony PlayStation 3: 130.6K (1.75 million total)