August was an unseasonably successful month for video games, we all saw September coming. Despite being released at the tail end of the month, Microsoft's Halo 3 juggernaut walked right up to the reigning NPD champ and rifle-butted it from behind. The Xbox 360 console jumped up two places with sales of over half a million units, nearly twice as many as in August. Total industry sales for the month: a staggering $1.36 billion thanks in large part to the efforts of Mr. Chief; hardware sales alone rose 188% to $418.6 million.
- Microsoft Xbox 360: 527.8K (6.8 million total)
- Nintendo Wii: 501K (4.5 million total)
- Nintendo DS: 495.8K (13.2 million total)
- Sony PlayStation 2: 215K (39.3 million total)
- Sony PSP: 284.5K (8.6 million total)
- Sony PlayStation 3: 119.4K (1.87 million total)