NPD group's short-lived hesitation in providing monthly US console sales data spawned many an unhappy emoticon, it comes as a great relief to present October's magnificent results. This is especially true considering that all platforms have ducked out of last month's Halo effect and returned to their familiar positions -- the Wii and DS are back on top and the PlayStation 3 is, well, you know.
GameDaily notes that the industry once again saw over $1 billion dollars leaving wallets at uncanny speeds, placing total sales for the year (through October) at $10.5 billion. At the same time last year, the amount had "just" reached $7 billion.
- Nintendo Wii: 519K (5 million total)
- Nintendo DS: 458K (13.6 million total)
- Microsoft Xbox 360: 366K (7.1 million total)
- Sony PSP: 286K (8.8 million total)
- Sony PlayStation 2: 184K (39.4 million total)
- Sony PlayStation 3: 121K (1.9 million total)