Apple has received a lot of flack, especially from Greenpeace, for their supposedly less-than-stellar commitment to "green" design and manufacturing processes. However, the MacBook Air might be a sign of changes to come, as it is officially the most environmentally-friendly Apple product on the shelves. The latest, thinnest Apple notebook boasts the following:
- Fully recyclable aluminum case
- Apple's first mercury-free LCD display, with arsenic-free glass
- Circuit boards are BFR-free and PVC-free
- 50% less packaging than the previous MacBooks
- Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
- Receives a EPEAT Silver Rating
Of course, the MacBook Air isn't quite perfect (it's far from the greenest computer out there), and there are more improvements that can be made. However, this is indeed a step in the right direction for Apple, and hopefully this indicates a new trend. I think it's about time that Apple gets on the sustainability train and starts implementing more earth-friendly materials into their products. Let's hope for more good things in the future.