Sony has announced that an upcoming PlayStation 3 firmware update will enhance the system's Blu-ray playback capabilities. Tucked into firmware update 2.20 will be support for Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0, otherwise labeled as BD-Live. The feature enables certain Blu-ray movies to connect to the internet and enable download additional interactive content -- movie DLC, if you will. Sony notes that the update will make the PlayStation 3 the first BD-Live Blu-ray player on the market. Oh, sorry, the PLAYSTATION 3.
Other enhancements included in firmware 2.20:
- Music and photo playlists can be exported from the PS3 to the PSP.
- DivX and WMV files larger than 2GB can be played.
- DVDs and Blu-rays will resume playback from the moment you last stopped them.
- The PSP can be used as a remote control to play music on the PS3.
- The web browser will feature faster page loading times and the ability to save linked files and stream linked videos.
- "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added to the AV control panel for Blu-rays and DVDs.