1:55: Time to talk Arenas. Design ideals for these are:
- Keep it simple
- Still leave room to innovate (keep it simple, but add some new twists)
- Dynamic points of interest (read: moving objects)
- Unique starting areas/events. Might put starting teams close to each other.
- Room to grow: we need to be able to make quest adjustments during beta
- Located in the sewers of Dalaran city. When Dalaran came over to Northrend, it took a large chunk of rock out of the ground with it, including the sewers.This environment seemed like a great fit for the arena.
- Dynamic line of sight: we can move objects in arenas and have the line of sight move with them. Think about the pillar in the Nagrand... and think if that pillar could move. We could make these move randomly or based on a specific timer. This can mix up the gameplay.
- Simple layout
- Mounts will not be usable. It's a small arena and wanted to let people get right into gameplay.
It's currently in playtesting.
- There's been an arena in Orgrimmar for a long time in the Valley of Heroes, but Blizz has never done anything with it.
- Elevating pillars will create line of sight (on set timers -- there will be little wheels and gears on the side of the arena that will spin before the pillars move)
- Triggered objects that damage players (thinking as the pillars go down, a wall of spikes may come up -- you can get across them but you'll take some damage)
- Extremely close starting areas: players start on elevators that rise out of the ground ten yards apart from each other. The elevators will be surrounded by spikes that will drop a couple of seconds after the elevator reaches the top -- so you'll have a couple of seconds.
- Mounts will be allowed inside -- this arena is a bit larger than Dalaran. Thought this was the perfect place to get NPC spectators who cheer, etc.