As a reminder, here are some guidelines for using this guide.
- So you want to be a Hunter is for the new player and/or a new hunter.
- This guide is not a "How-to get to 80 in less than 3 days" leveling guide. It's more of a "What to expect as you level" guide.
- Except where highlighted, this guide does not take into account Recruit a Friend or heirloom bonuses.
- Since most players tend to level by themselves, all talent build suggestions will focus on a solo leveling/grinding build.
- Since this guide is about leveling, pet talent point allocations will be using a tenacity pet.
- This guide focuses on the leveling the PvE hunter. We will discuss PvP and raiding in other guides
When you get to level 32 you learn another new tracking spell. You can now learn Track Demons
. No longer are those dreaded Satyrs or warlocks
with their demons going to be able to hide behind corners or out of site. Now you can see them on your map and plan their explosive demise.
Of course Tracking Demons is pretty cool and all, but the star of this level has to be Flare
. Finally, we have a way to smoke out all those despicably treacherous rogues
as they try to hide in the shadows.New hunter SkillsHunter Talent AllocationsPet Talent AllocationsQuest Chains to ConsiderInstances to considerRare PetsLevel 33-34
The main thing you learn at level 34 is the Explosive Trap
. While your pet is tanking the mob you can lay this trap down to help add a bit extra damage and then move back to finish them off. It's also good to know that if you decide to raid Survival, your Explosive Trap can be used to trigger Lock and Load
.New Hunter SkillsHunter Talent AllocationsQuest Chains to ConsiderInstances to considerRare PetsLevels 35-36
At level 36 you learn Viper Sting
. Now this is a good spell to learn for a couple of reasons. One it will help you drain the mana from any casters.
Second, it will give back to you 300% of the mana you've drained. So if you find you need an extra boost of mana as you switch from Aspect of the Hawk
to Aspect of the Viper
, this is an acceptable way to accomplish just that.New Hunter SkillsHunter Talent AllocationsPet Talent AllocationsQuest Chains to ConsiderInstances to ConsiderRare PetsLevel 37-38
At levels 37 and 38 you don't learn really any new spells. And nothing really new happens. Depending on what you're doing and how close you are to having enough gold for your mount. This is a good time to take a break from the rapid pace of leveling and maybe consider bringing up your gathering professions to help offset some of the expense of learning new abilities as well as preparing for your epic mount at level 40.Hunter Talent AllocationsQuest Chains to Consider
Instances to ConsiderRare PetsLevels 39-40
- Guile of the Raptor (Horde, Arathi Highlands)
- Hints of a New Plague? (Alliance, Hillsbrad Foothills)
- More than Coincidence (Horde, Dustwallow Marsh)
- Pearl Diving (Both, Badlands)
- Questioning Reethe (Horde, Dustwallow Marsh)
- Recover the Cargo! (Alliance, Dustwallow Marsh)
- Return to Jaina (Alliance, Dustwallow Marsh)
- Survey Alcaz Island (Alliance, Dustwallow Marsh)
- The End of the Deserters (Alliance, Dustwallow Marsh)
- Twilight of the Dawn Runner (Horde, Dustwallow Marsh)
- Bring the Light (Alliance, Razorfen Downs)
- Agmond's Fate (Alliance, Uldaman)
- Arms of the Grimtotems (Alliance, Dustwallow Marsh)
- Book of the Ancients (Both Desolace)
- Gizelton Caravan (Both, Desolace)
- Return to Krog (Horde, Dustwallow Marsh)
A few things happen at Level 40. The most exciting is the ability to get your epic land mount
. Unless you've managed to become exalted with another Alliance race, you'll have to head back to your own mount trainer and purchase the Journeyman Riding (150) skill
. Then you can get your epic mount and improve your speed to 100%!
Though this overshadows anything else at level 40, you also get some pretty cool hunter skills like Track Giants
. This is useful when questing around Tanaris or Arathi Highlands and later on in Northrend. Add to that Aspect of the Pact for helping your run back through cleared instances or areas.
The final sill is Volley, our area attack. What's great about Volley is now you can have your pet agro a lot of mobs and you can sit back and just Volley
them down. However, be careful, you will probably pull one or more of the mobs off your pet so make sure you have a Freeze Trap down.New Hunter SkillsHunter Talent AllocationsPet Talent AllocationsQuest Chains to ConsiderInstances to ConsiderRare Pets
Now that you've gotten your epic land mount you can start to level even faster. To help reflect that our next two editions of So you want to be a hunter
will cover 20 levels and will be wrapped up in two weeks. So come back next week when we cover levels 41-60, travel to Outlands and get your first flying mount.
You want to be a Hunter, eh? Well then you came to the right place. Scattered Shots is the one column dedicated to helping you learn everything it takes to be a Hunter. Each week Scattered Shots will cover topics to help you Fix Your DPS, Choosing the Right Spec, Gear Selection, Macros and Pet Selection, Pet Specs and Management.