If choice is a good thing, iPhone owners have a veritable bounty of navigation apps in all price ranges and features. MapQuest has now released their own navigation app, and frankly it's a mixed bag.
Like the AT&T nav app, MapQuest Navigator [iTunes link] needs the internet for its data, so if you frequently drive where even the Edge network is a sometime visitor, forget using this app.
If you are more of an urban driver or stick to Interstates, the app has some promise.
Here are some of the touted features:
- Streamlined 3D Interface: Features voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation that speaks directions and street names.
- Regular Data Updates: Search 16+ million points of interest and utilize up-to-date street maps.
- Full Route Corridor Download: Quick route re-calculation for missed turns as well provides continued service in areas of no cellular coverage.
- Traffic Incident Based Routing: U.S. routes are optimized to avoid traffic incidents that might delay your travel.
- A MapQuest Place Carousel: Easily displays locations for hotels, movie theaters, gas stations, and more with a single tap.