As is customary Thursdays, a bevy of great iOS releases debuted on the App Store today, including several we've been waiting for. Here's a sampling of what you'll find out there (all prices are USD):
- If you just pick up one of these, MacGuffin's Curse should be it. It's a very well done puzzle/adventure title that's been in the works for quite a while. It's also destined for the Mac App Store, but at $1.99 on the App Store, you probably shouldn't pass it up now.
- Sketch Nation Studio is another big release we've been waiting on. I saw it in action at GDC earlier this year, and was impressed that it lets you build a game that can potentially be released to the App Store and earn real money. Sketch Nation Studio is basically a platform inside Apple's platform, and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out going forward. It's a free download.
- Downhill Xtreme is also free. It's a longboard racing game from veteran devs Distinctive Developments. I can't say I was super impressed with the controls on this one when I played it at GDC, but there is some excellent music in here, and it's free, so it's worth a download for sure.
- Monster Words is a freemium title that combines two of my favorite things: Monsters and word games.
- Illusia 2 is also free. It's a sequel to Gamevil's popular RPG platform, with lots of customization options and some really nice 2D graphics.
- Finally, Sega has released Total War Battles on iOS. This might be the one exception to only picking up MacGuffin's Curse this week. If you're a real-time strategy fan, this is definitely the one to buy. Total War is the acclaimed PC strategy series from developers Creative Assembly, and in bringing the game to iOS, they've made several smart moves that preserve the core of RTS, while simplifying the interface for the touchscreen. Definitely check this one out. It's $6.99 right now and worth that price if you love Total War or real-time strategy, but Sega price drops its games often, too.
This is just the cream of the crop out today, too. Stay tuned, as we'll be featuring more big releases every day going forward in our Daily App series.