NINTENDO ANNOUNCES LAUNCH DATES FOR ANTICIPATED Wii U & NINTENDO 3DS TITLES FOR 2013
New Power-Ups for SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD, new downloadable stages for Pikmin 3 and a new Kirby title coming in 2014 among numerous announcements
1st October 2013 – Nintendo today revealed launch dates and new game details for some of its most anticipated titles coming in 2013 as part of a Nintendo Direct broadcast. From SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD and Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games on Wii U, to Bravely Default on Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo fans are set for a diverse software offering in the lead-up to Christmas.
Also unveiled in today's Nintendo Direct are red and green Wii Remote Plus controllers set to launch in honour of everyone's favourite video game brothers, Mario and Luigi, while Kirby fans will be excited to hear of a new addition to the Kirby series coming to Nintendo 3DS in 2014.
To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect. Today's announcements included:
Wii U News
· SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD: Containing many fresh power-ups, like cherries that allow players to duplicate their characters in addition to the series-first Cat transformation, the game will launch on 29th November.
· Super Smash Bros.: Sonic is confirmed as a playable character in the game, which is scheduled to launch for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in 2014. Sonic joins the Smash Bros. series for the second time, continuing on from a first appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
· Pikmin 3: A software update for Pikmin 3 is now available for those players who have a broadband Internet connection. The update improves the Global Ranking feature so players can see the world's highest scores in Mission Mode at any given time, as well as offering one add-on mission stage for free. After the update, players will also be able to purchase a new "Collect Treasure" stage pack from Nintendo eShop, with additional packs coming at a later time.
· New Wii Remote Plus designs: Nintendo fans will have their choice of a Mario-themed controller or a Luigi-themed controller when these two new Wii Remote Plus designs release on 8th November.
· Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games launches exclusively for Wii U on 8th November. For the first time in the Mario & Sonic series, players from around the world can take the action online and compete with others from around the world. Four events are playable online: Ski Cross, Snowboard Cross and Short Track Speed Skating, in addition to Winter Sports Champion Race, a Dream Event that combines Skiing, Ice Skating, Bobsleigh and Snowboarding into a single event. Every time players win a medal in online gameplay, they will win points for their home country, which can be viewed through persistent online rankings.
· Wii Party U: House Party mode in Wii Party U puts the focus on using both the Wii U GamePad and Wii Remote controllers together in different, fun and social ways. For example, in Water Runners, using Wii Remote controllers players scoop water from the stream displayed on the GamePad and bring it to a pitcher displayed on the TV. The game launches on 25th October. The packaged version of the game includes a Wii Remote Plus and a Horizontal Stand for the Wii U GamePad. The stand will help players get the most out of games like Tabletop Football, in which gameplay occurs exclusively on the GamePad.
· Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND: Releasing on 4th October as a download from Nintendo eShop, the application will feature 1,500 songs at launch, with more coming regularly, including Japanese songs. Users can enjoy singing modes such as In-Depth Rating, which analyses each performance, or even try to top the European rankings online in the Online Rating mode.
· Scribblenauts Unlimited: Previously delayed in Europe, this huge side-scrolling puzzle game will launch on both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS on 6th December.
· Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: In order to deliver the optimum gaming experience for fans, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will now launch in early 2014.
Nintendo 3DS News
· Kirby for Nintendo 3DS: A new instalment in the Kirby series is coming in 2014. More details about this game will be available in the future.
· The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: In this latest adventure in the Legend of Zelda series, players will have more freedom to explore the various dungeons in the order they want. Many of the most essential items at Link's disposal in the game will be available early on at a shop run by the character Ravio, which lets players rent or buy items before they embark on their next dungeon adventure. The game launches on 22nd November.
· Bravely Default: This anticipated role-playing game from Square Enix will launch on 6th December. Also available from launch will be a special Collector's Edition of the game, plus an exclusive artbook available if fans pre-order the title.
· Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies: Launching on 24th October on Nintendo eShop, this latest instalment in the Phoenix Wright series sees the man himself return to the courtroom 8 years after losing his licence to practise law. In anticipation of the game's launch, a free downloadable demo is now available on Nintendo eShop.
· Mario Party: Island Tour: Not announced in this latest Nintendo Direct, but in order to deliver the optimum gaming experience for fans, Mario Party: Island Tour will now launch in early 2014.
· Wii U System Update: A new Wii U system update is now available for download. The update delivers performance enhancements, as well as the option to automatically receive recommended software and demos via SpotPass, numerous improvements to the internet browser (such as the possibility to upload screenshots to various websites and social networks), the ability to output audio and video to the GamePad in Wii Mode, a more streamlined experience when adding Friends and other additions. For a full list of changes, please visit - http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Wii-U/System-Updates/Latest-system-update-information/Latest-system-update-information-677417.html.
For further details:
Nintendo Direct website http://nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect
Nintendo Direct on Ustream http://www.ustream.tv/NintendoUK
Wii U (UK) on Facebook http://facebook.com/WiiU.co.uk
Nintendo 3DS (UK) on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo3DSUK
Nintendo UK on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/NintendoUK
Nintendo of Europe on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendoeurope
Nintendo UK on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendouk
The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ and Wii™ home consoles, Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.1 billion video games and more than 655 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance™, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of Europe, based in Grossostheim, Germany, was established in 1990 and serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in Europe.