AMD Radeon R9 290X Graphics Card Pioneers a New Era in Gaming Experience
AMD makes graphics leadership power move with AMD Radeon R9 290X GPU, the king of the Radeon R9 Series graphics cards, new GPUs for a new era in gaming
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -10/24/2013
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today launched the AMD Radeon™ R9 290X graphics card, introducing the ultimate GPU for a new era in PC gaming. As the top AMD Radeon™ R9 Series graphics card, the AMD Radeon™ R9 290X GPU delivers breathtaking performance while pushing the boundaries of audio and visual realism for gamers who demand the best.
"As the pinnacle of our new AMD Radeon R9 Series graphics cards, the AMD Radeon R9 290X GPU embodies AMD's leadership as the ultimate graphics solution for an exceptional gaming experience, affirming that Radeon™ is gaming," said Matt Skynner, general manager and corporate vice president, AMD Graphics Business Unit. "The formidable combination of Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture, Mantle and AMD TrueAudio technology raises the bar for breathtaking audio and graphics, and powerful performance, giving enthusiasts an unprecedented gaming experience."
With AMD's award-winning Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture at its core, the AMD Radeon R9 290X graphics cards have an unrivaled advantage with Mantle, an industry-changing technology developed by AMD1. With Mantle, top game developers can harness the GCN-powered architecture found in both PCs and consoles, empowering them to speak the native language of the GPU core and benefit from an incomparable level of hardware optimization that unlocks revolutionary performance and image quality.
Equipped with the new AMD TrueAudio technology and made for ultra resolution gaming, the AMD Radeon R9 290X GPU creates today's most immersive PC gaming experience2.
AMD TrueAudio technology brings a heightened level of revolutionary audio immersion, surrounding gamers with realistic audio environments through stereo headsets and speakers. Armed with a dedicated audio processor in the GPU, the AMD Radeon R9 290X graphics card will deliver a richer and deeply immersive soundscape, including true to life echoes, convolution reverbs and incredibly realistic sounding environments.
Made to perform for UltraHD (4K)3 and AMD Eyefinity technology4, the AMD Radeon™ R9 290X GPU elevates visual experiences on current and upcoming PC titles with superior image quality and expansive, eye-opening displays.
Outstanding features of the AMD Radeon R9 290X graphics cards include:
* 2,816 stream processing units
* Up to 1 GHz engine clock
* 4GB GDDR5 memory
* Up to 5.0Gbps memory clock speed
* 320GB/s memory bandwidth (maximum)
* 5.6 TFLOPS Single Precision compute power
* API support for DirectX® 11.2, OpenGL 4.3 and Mantle
The AMD Radeon R9 290X graphics cards are available on Oct. 24, 2013 at a starting price of $549 USD and €399 (excluding VAT)5.
1. Application support for Mantle is required.
2. AMD TrueAudio technology is offered on select AMD Radeon™ R9 and R7 200 Series GPUs and is designed to improve acoustic realism. Requires an enabled game or application. Not all audio equipment supports all audio effects; additional audio equipment may be required for some audio effects. Not all products feature all technologies-check with your component or system manufacturer for specific capabilities.
3. Requires 4K display and content. Supported resolution varies by GPU model and board design; confirm specifications with manufacturer before purchase.
4. AMD Eyefinity technology supports multiple monitors on an enabled graphics card. Supported display quantity, type and resolution vary by model and board design; confirm specifications with manufacturer before purchase. To enable more than two displays, or multiple displays from a single output, additional hardware such as DisplayPort™-ready monitors or DisplayPort 1.2 MST-enabled hubs may be required. A maximum of two active adapters is recommended for consumer systems. See www.amd.com/eyefinityfaq for full details.
5. SEP as of Oct. 24, 2013.