Here are some of the best free apps, app updates and new apps that have landed in the App Store recently. All app prices are USD and subject to change. Some deals may expire quickly, so grab them while you can.
Apps Now Free
Sweetie [OS X; Now free, down from $2.99] Sweetie app stylizes images and turns them into a beautiful text arted images.
Calculator Expert [OS X; Now free, down from $4.99] Calculator Expert is the most precise mathematical app for your Mac.
Instantbot [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $1.99] Instantbot is a universal app that contains all that you need to make your Instagram experience much better.
Cardiograph: Heart Rate Pulse Measurement using your iPhone & iPad Camera [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $1.99] Cardiograph is an application which measures your heart rate.
Globo - World Clock and Weather [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $0.99] With a clean graphic, an innovative and simple navigation and a great user experience, Globo is your best companion for your time check needs.
Focus Pomodoro Timer - A New Approach To Focus On Your Tasks [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $4.99] Focus is a beautiful and easy to use pomodoro timer. It helps you to focus on your tasks and stay productive all the time.
Hive [iPhone; Now free, down from $0.99] Hive is a board game with a difference. There is no board! The pieces are added to the playing area thus creating the board.
New and Notable Apps
WiFi Guard [OS X; $9.99] An essential tool for everyone running a small WiFi network and striving to keep it secure.
TinyHands Towers 2, Full Version [iOS Universal; $2.99] Fun educational game for toddlers of age 2.5 and up
Updates you don't want to miss
quip [iOS Universal; Free] Quip is a modern productivity suite that combines documents and messages into a single chat-like "thread" of updates - making collaboration easy. Version 2.0 brings the following changes:
- Full-text search - Search over all messages and documents.
- Document publishing - Share a link to your document that anyone can read without installing the app or creating an account.
- UI redesign - The new interface includes better navigation, improved chat functionality, the ability to "pin" documents to your desktop, and a custom keyboard for @-mentions in documents.
- Microsoft Word export - Convert any Quip document into a Microsoft Word file.
- Source code figures - Embed source code snippets in your documents.
The New York Times Crossword [iOS Universal; Free] The best crossword in the world is better than ever! Enjoy the same puzzles printed in the daily newspaper on the only mobile crossword app built by The New York Times. Version 1.2 brings the following changes:
- Now brought to you entirely by The New York Times
- Fully redesigned with a clean look for iOS 7
- Play Anywhere by creating or connecting an NYTimes.com account and enjoy The Crossword on the web
- iOS progress will sync with the web and vice versa
- Brand new puzzle packs with more coming every 8 weeks - try one puzzle in each pack for free!
- Support for special or highlighted squares
- New puzzle options allow you to play exactly the way you want to
- Keyboard controls for moving around the puzzle
- More intuitive progress tracking of your recently played puzzles
MindNode [iOS Universal; $9.99] MindNode makes mind mapping easy. Version 3.1 brings the following changes:
- Improved Outline
- Export Improvements
- and more
The Guardian [iOS Universal; Free] Get the whole picture the whole time with the free Guardian app. Version 3.0 brings the following changes:
- Beautiful new design for iPhone and iPad
- Quickly see which stories are most important with the new smart adaptive layout
- Follow your favourite stories, series, writers and football teams for personal notifications
- Add as many sections to your home screen as you want
- The premium tier now includes daily crosswords