Amazon Echo 4th-gen (2020)
Amazon’s redesigned Echo improves upon its predecessor in several ways. It now has a Zigbee smart home hub built in, but more importantly it sounds excellent. If you want a smart speaker that doesn’t skimp on audio quality, the latest Echo is a great choice.
- Great audio quality
- Two speakers sound even better as a stereo pair
- Reasonable price
- Alexa is a mature and useful virtual assistant
- 3.5mm audio jack
- Alexa can be finicky about music requests
- Sphere design could be polarizing
Echo 4th-gen (2020)
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (4)
- 88AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE4 ReviewsCNET90The best Alexa smart speaker in yearsThe 2020 Echo feels like a much more worthwhile gadget than last year's third-gen Echo. The powerful sound and smarts distinguish it from the competition, and with an ever-improving Alexa, buying a smart speaker hasn't felt this good in years.Reviewed.com80BUT IT'S NOT THE BEST SMART SPEAKER WE'VE SEENThe new Echo has improved sound from previous Echos, a built-in Zigbee hub, a temperature sensor, and a snazzy new look. If you're committed to the Amazon ecosystem, upgrading to this 4th-gen Echo is a solid choice, though temper your expectations of the sound quality. Amazon has discontinued the Echo Plus, so the 4th-gen Echo is probably the best Amazon-made Alexa speaker you can get right now, aside from the quite large Echo Studio, which is also twice the price.TechRadar90This is a complete overhaul of Amazon’s flagship smart speakerThe new Amazon Echo is a serious step up from its predecessors, even if it still doesn't have the best sound of any smart speaker. Add to that the built-in Zigbee smart home hub and a new AZ1 neural edge processor that reduces the time it takes for Alexa to respond to commands, and you’ve got the recipe for the best Echo design yet.The Verge90MUSIC OF THE SPHEREIf you have been eyeing the smart speaker world for the past half-decade but haven’t jumped in yet, the new Echo is an excellent place to start. It’s a great-sounding speaker that also happens to do a million other things.