Amazon Echo Dot with Clock (2019)
Amazon didn’t change much with the Echo Dot in 2019 -- it just added a clock. That’s OK, because the Echo Dot remains a very powerful and affordable smart speaker. It provides surprisingly good audio quality for such a small device, and Alexa remains quite useful. If you’re looking for your first smart speaker, the Dot should be at the top of your list.
- Surprisingly strong audio quality
- Clock is handy if a bit superfluous
- 3.5mm audio output jack
- Alexa is a mature and powerful voice assistant
- Hardware buttons make it easy to use
- Alexa app is still kind of confusing
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (10)
- 90AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsPC Mag90Amazon Echo Dot With ClockBeing able to see the time by looking at your Echo Dot is really useful, as is seeing the temperature or checking a timer. If you want more visual functionality than that, you'll need to step up to the $90 Echo Show 5, and the jump from a smart speaker to a smart display can overly complicate the situation when all you want is a little Alexa puck that tells the time.CNET90It is what it is. And we can dig it.Amazon has created another smart speaker that brings practical smarts to the kitchen counter or the bedside table. It's not as adventurous a device as other Echo products, but it's one of the most wallet-friendly and practical.Pocket-Lint100Alexa, what's the time?The Echo Dot with Clock is a no brainer in many senses. It's an ideal addition to a bedroom, less distracting than larger devices with a display, but still performing that essential job of showing you the time in the middle of the night. Equally, thanks to things like a countdown timer display, it's a useful companion in the kitchen too.Tech Advisor90Amazon Echo Dot with Clock reviewIf the one feature you want from an Echo Dot is a clock display, the Echo Dot with Clock is the one for you. Having the time on show is undoubtedly a handy feature if you're going to use it as a bedside alarm clock and it's just about worth the extra...$10 over the regular Echo Dot.The Verge80Time is on its sideAmazon thinks this added convenience is worth an extra $10 over the regular price of the third-generation Echo Dot, which it somewhat confusingly continues to sell. If you’re thinking of upgrading, there are cheaper ways to get a clock in your home. And if you wait, it's highly likely that Amazon will discount it in time for the holidays.TechRadar90A smart addition to Amazon's most popular EchoIf you're looking for a smart speaker that can control your smart home, set timers, and play a little bit of music, the Amazon Echo Dot with Clock is a great choice – just don't rely on it as your main music player.CNN90A simple but useful upgradeI think many will find the LED display to be a worthy added bonus. It is perfect as an alarm clock that doesn't add a screen to your bedroom. That said, if you don't mind asking Alexa for the time, you're probably good with a 3rd Gen.T3100The best-selling Echo, now with an LED displayThe visual display is minimal in terms of scope, with it capable of displaying numbers and a few symbols, but what it adds to the Dot is actually far bigger than it first appears. By having a visual clock the Dot is now the perfect bedside table alarm clock and radio, for example. While being able to display countdown timers and show the temperature, too, it now makes it an even better kitchen counter-top companion.Digital Trends80The time is nowAdding an LED clock to an existing speaker may seem like a lazy update on Amazon's part, but the Echo Dot...is still a standout among entry-level smart speakers in the home with its $60 cost, exceptional smart home integration, powerful assistant in Alexa, and a design that fits any decor style.TrustedReviews90Amazon Echo Dot with Clock ReviewYou get all the benefits of the current Echo Dot -- including neat looks and powerful audio for speech -- and the clock on the front makes it the ideal bedside companion, if you don't want a smart display.