Amazon Echo Show (2018)
Amazon’s latest Echo Show is a huge upgrade over the original. It has a more modern design, fantastic audio quality, comes with two built-in browsers and features step-by-step recipes; some even have video tutorials. It now has more robust entertainment options, that include NBC, Hulu, as well as the latter’s live TV service. Still, the mediocre display is disappointing, and those entrenched in Google’s ecosystem might find it lacking. Amazon fans, however, will find plenty to like here, and the affordable price point makes it a compelling proposition.
- Improved streamlined design
- Outstanding sound quality
- Supports NBC and Hulu (including Hulu Live)
- Built-in browser lets you watch YouTube
- Step-by-step recipes with video instructions
- Display quality is only so-so
- Isn’t fully compatible with Nest Hello video doorbell
- Not compatible with YouTube TV
Echo Show (2018)
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (13)
- 81AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE13 ReviewsTom's Guide80Better In Every WayWhile still a bit confused about what it wants to be, the second Echo Show is a huge improvement over the first.CNET70Bigger sound and better looksIf you like the idea of a smart display for cooking, calling or watching videos, the newest Echo Show is a great option. But don't expect any extras.TechCrunch80Echo Show 2 reviewThe new Show is nice upgrade over its predecessor. It’s better looking, has a bigger screen and improved (if backwards) speakers, while smart home hub functionality and last year’s addition of security camera monitoring make it a control panel for the smart home. The ball is in your court, Google.SlashGear80Alexa the screen starNestling at the heart of that ecosystem, the $229.99 Echo Show 2nd-generation has none of the uncertainty that the original suffered from. Amazon’s assistant has proved herself not only at home on a touchscreen device, but arguably works better there. With the perfect mix of show and tell, the new Echo Show 2nd Gen is the best way to engage with Alexa.Mashable80A huge step up from the originalAmazon's second-generation Echo Show has a larger screen, booming audio, and fast performance, making the $229 price worthwhile.TechHive90Better in every wayThe second-generation Amazon Echo Show might use the same processor as the first, but virtually everything else is new and improved.TechRadar80Amazon Echo Show reviewA big step in the right direction thanks to a better design, screen, sound experience and feature set. The Show is still hampered by patchy skills and limited support for third party streaming services, but if you’re a Prime Video fan living in a smart home full of Echos, you should definitely check it out.The Verge80IMPROVED SCREEN AND BETTER SPEAKERS AREN'T ENOUGHAt the end of the day, if I’m going to commit to having an always-on, internet-connected screen sitting on my countertop all the time, I want it to do more than the Echo Show.VentureBeat90A better video and visual experience with AlexaBy virtue of being Amazon’s chief visual offering with Alexa, the Echo Show is a sort of standard bearer for the emerging field of hands-free products that deploy AI services. The first-generation Echo Show was not really up to this title, but the second-generation Echo Show has a series of additions that make it a more thoughtful, easier to use device, with new video choices to explore.Expert Reviews80Bigger screen, better soundOverall, the Echo Show 2 is a big improvement on the original. The screen is bigger and brighter, and the quality is better. It looks and feels nicer to use, too, and it sounds pretty damned good, all things considered. The microphone array is also more sensitive.It's still, on balance, my pick of the Echo speakers. However, I can’t help but hanker after a slicker smart screen experience. With that big 10in display, Amazon could have worked wonders – it could have fixed all the problems I have with the original. Instead, it played it safe and the result is that I'm left wanting more.TrustedReviews80Amazon Echo Show (2nd Gen) ReviewWith its larger screen and powerful sound, the Amazon Echo Show (2nd Gen) is the smart display for watching content as well as controlling your home.TrustedReviews80King of the kitchenThe Echo Show is a super additional device for a kitchen or communal space, while the audio has been given a much-needed boost. There are some foibles - such as lack of YouTube, a slightly reflective display, and some skills lacking screen-based optimisation - but all-round the second-gen Show is a notable improvement.Digital Trends80Amazon Echo Show (2nd gen) reviewWith a bigger screen and stronger sound, the new Amazon Echo Show is better in every way.
More from Amazon
- Alexa is getting a bunch of new skills including improved clothing search and deeper integration with a range of devices.
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?
- The Alexa Custom Assistant solution allows brands to customize a digital assistant to their specific needs.
- Expect a series of rapid-fire hardware announcements ahead of the holiday shopping season.