Apple AirPods Max
Apple went full Cupertino with its first wireless noise-cancelling headphones. The company offers great sound and features in a product that exudes style. Due to all the metal, the headphones are quite heavy and the “case” doesn’t do much to protect your investment. If Apple can bring spatial audio to Apple TV and add a high-res option to Apple Music (or even support Dolby Atmos Music on other services), the $550 price tag will be easier to swallow. For most people though, more affordable flagship models from Bose and Sony will suffice.
- Excellent balanced sound
- Solid ANC
- Handy features
- Unique but reliable controls
- Solid battery life
- Spatial audio is limited right now
- The “case” offers little protection
- No high-res music streaming service support
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (10)
- 83AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsTom's Guide80Is it really worth $549?The AirPods Max are exceptional noise-cancelling headphones with a luxurious design, sophisticated soundstage and clever computational features. But the $549 price and unconventional case are difficult to overlook.CNET90Top-notch sound, noise canceling and a hefty price tagIf you are looking for a high-end experience, the AirPods Max deliver one. Say what you will about the price, at least they're different, and stand out in a very crowded field of wireless headphones.PC Mag80Topflight headphones for a sky-high priceApple's AirPods Max headphones deliver excellent audio performance, top-notch noise cancellation, and a bevy of useful features in an absolutely gorgeous design for a bit too much money.SoundGuys60Are they any better?If you're looking to just listen to music or a few podcasts, the new Airpods are a good choice since the connection never drops and the battery life is longer than the previous version. Plus you can also charge the case wirelessly with any Qi wireless charger. Just don't expect to get a great sound experience and be prepared to lose at least one.Input70The biggest test yet for Apple loyalistsAs they are, AirPods Max are a beautiful crown for your head — a way to show off you’ve got Apple’s priciest headphones. The sound quality is top-notch, but they’re too expensive for anyone but the biggest of Apple fans. There are too many equally good-sounding ANC headphones that cost less and fit as well (if not better).What Hi-Fi100Can the AirPods Max, Apple’s first noise-cancelling over-ear headphones, justify their huge price tag?Sonically speaking, the AirPods Max don’t put a foot wrong – these are hands-down the best wireless noise-cancellers you can buy.TechRadar80The perfect headphones for Apple devoteesThe Apple AirPods Max are among the best-sounding headphones we've ever tested, they're easy to use, and their noise cancellation can easily stand up to the likes of the Sony WH-1000XM4 and the Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. However, their high price, limitations for Android users, and lack of 3.5mm audio port means we'd only recommend them to iOS users with a lot of money to spare – and no interest in Hi-Res Audio.CNN90A high price for luxury performanceAirPods Max at $550 are a luxury purchase, but they may be worth it depending on what you’re looking for. If you want a pair of terrific over-ear headphones, opt for the Sony WH-1000XM4. For most of you, those will be the perfect choice and are just $278. If you want to take it to the next-level and have the budget, AirPods Max deserve a look and sit as our luxury pick. Just don’t pay the wild amount that people are reselling them for on eBay.The Verge90LUXURIOUS SOUND FOR A LUXURY PRICEThere’s still no world where I recommend the AirPods Max to your average headphone shopper, especially when the AirPods Pro offer a lot of the same features for less. Many consumers will be perfectly happy sticking with the tried-and-true options from Sony, Bose, Microsoft, and elsewhere. At the very least, it’s probably worth waiting for Apple Music HD or spatial audio on the Apple TV or, for god’s sake, a better case.Rolling Stone90Apple’s Headphones Go BigThey’re a big investment, and come with some design shortcomings that may be dealbreakers, but AirPods Max are smart, convenient to use, and exce excellent sounding pair of headphones designed with Apple’s devices in mind.
More from Apple
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?
- The issue seems to occur when the likes of TikTok, Instagram and Snapchat access the rear camera module.