BMW Z4 M40i (2020)
The BMW Z4 M40i is the automaker’s love letter to roadsters that hits nearly all of the right notes. Its tech on the road is impressive but runs into some issues when you try to get CarPlay to work. Still, that doesn’t take away from BMW building a proper roadster that’ll appease enthusiasts and regular drivers alike. But again, that smaller engine will probably be the better purchase.
- Wonderful handling and power
- Lane-keep assist isn’t overbearing
- Living’ that top-down life
- No manual transmission
- CarPlay integration is wonky and you have to pay for it
- KeyFob settings are aggressive
- Pricey M40i engine too much for most folks
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (4)
- 78AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE4 ReviewsMotor Trend90Against All OddsAs simply a sports car/luxury convertible, the new Z4 almost stands alone. Sure, the muscular Americans—Mustang, Camaro, and even Corvette—make more power and go a little quicker, but they have nowhere near the refinement of this German.The Car Connection60The Car Connection Expert ReviewWith the top down in the new M40i version, that simple joy becomes an extended thrill. The active damping and tighter chassis makes the Z4 track-capable but it’s more at home as an everyday driver to flee town, drop the top, and just go.Chicago Tribune902020 BMW Z4 sDrive M40i Roadster: The therapeutic BMWIn the end: This is not just a car; this is therapy. I'm still fighting with Blue Cross to have it covered, because it's past time for another dose.Top Gear70The Top Gear car reviewThe new BMW Z4 is sportier than the last one, but also capable of long-distance work. The looks? That's up to you.