GoPro Hero5 Black
The Hero5 Black adds some much-needed features that make it feel like the most mature action camera we've seen yet. That said, some of the additions, like GPS, don't bring too much to the table just yet. Overall, though, it's an improved experience compared to the Hero4, and one that should get better with time.
- Includes a touchscreen
- Responds to voice commands
- Waterproof even without a case
- Advanced photo modes
- Touchscreen is occasionally unresponsive
- New features will drain the battery fast
- No support for third-party batteries
- Incompatible with some legacy accessories
- Critic Reviews (6)
- User Reviews (2)
- 85AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE6 ReviewsWired80Review: GoPro Hero5 Black and Hero5 SessionGiven the new features and the excellent image quality, the Hero5 Black is the best action camera you can buy. Also, it will be fully compatible with GoPro’s forthcoming Karma drone. The new camera is also only $400—a full $100 cheaper than the previous Hero4 Black.Mashable90The best thing about the new GoPros isn't the cameGoPro's latest Hero 5 action cameras up the ante with new waterproof designs, voice controls and software that'll help you create video memories easier and faster.Pocket-Lint100GoPro Hero5 Black review: A new breed of super HerThe Hero5 is a new breed of super Hero, perfect for upgraders of newcomers alike. It modernises the series and, ultimately, reinforces GoPro's position as king of the action cams.T380GoPro Hero5 Black review and sample videos. And weThis is a cracking action cam. The best you can get, in fact. It's a great evolution of the firm's tried-and-tested line, featuring plenty of user-friendly extras that make capturing top quality footage a doddle.Digital Trends80GOPRO HERO5 BLACK REVIEWThe Hero5 Black is a proper successor ... and it’s worth the upgrade. Even existing Hero4 Black owners will benefit from the new features. The lower list price makes it more affordable, so if you’re shopping for a new action cam, definitely consider the Hero5 Black at the top of the list.DC Rainmaker80GoPro Hero5 Black In-Depth ReviewI wouldn’t have any hesitation in recommending the Hero5 to anyone. The camera works well and has outstanding video and photo quality at the same time.
- 95AVERAGE USER SCORE2 Reviewsstefangadget100September 28, 2017Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Great little device. Definitely would buy againEngadget Reader90November 5, 2016Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I lost my GoPro Hero3 in a recent move so I went and upgraded to the Hero5. I am totally loving the integrated LCD screen. I had to purchase the LCD Bacpac to get something like this to work on the Hero3. I had the Session for a quick minute but just couldn't get over the non swappable battery issue so I went back and got the Hero5 and have not regretted plopping down the extra $100. I really liked the diving case the GoPro's usually came with because I like to keep my tech pristine. This one just comes with a wrap around "naked" case which is fine because by itself it's waterproof. Looks like the replacement lens covers are $20 so that's not too bad. I'm hoping they come out with a lens cap soon. If I were to list con's it would be the port covers and battery cover. You really have to make sure the button on the port covers, when closed, is flush. The depress slightly and mine doesn't like to seat itself back without some help. Other than that it's a Gopro! No competition required.
More from GoPro
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?