Intel NUC 8 VR
Intel’s Hades Canyon NUC is everything we’ve ever wanted in a tiny desktop. It has enough graphical power to play just about any modern game and power VR headsets, but it’s small enough to take anywhere. And while it’s probably too expensive for most consumers, it still manages to push small form factor PCs into brand new territory.
- Impressive CPU and GPU performance in a small box
- Plenty of ports
- Easy access to internals
- Expensive compared to pre-built desktops
- $999 kit is purely DIY; you’ll have to install RAM and storage
- Large power adapter hurts portability
NUC 8 VR
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (5)
- 88AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE5 ReviewsWired80REVIEW: INTEL HADES CANYON NUCIntel has created a rig that's unobtrusive, highly capable, portable, and plays games at 1080p without breaking a sweat. It's just as well suited to the gamer who wants a smokin' hot living room PC as it is to a media pro looking for a slinky powerhouse that won't bat an eye at DaVinci Resolve or Adobe Lightroom. Miss the days when Apple actually gave a damn about the Mac Mini? This is the worthy replacement you've been pining for.AnandTech90Kaby Lake-G BenchmarkedThe system is easy to recommend for consumers who value a portable VR-ready gaming solution with a high-performance CPU, or indeed anyone that needs a powerful SFF PC that doesn't have to make a static trade-off between CPU performance and GPU performance. There are PCs have much better graphics and CPU performance, but, they are priced a lot higher and don't have the same portability or I/O richness as the NUC8i7HVK. And that really is what makes Hades Canyon shine: it's a major leap in performance over past Intel NUCs, and at this point in time there's nothing else on the market that's going to be able to match its performance and features in such a small form factor.PC World90Intel taps AMD's Radeon Vega graphicsThe Hades Canyon NUC shows off Intel's marriage of a Kaby Lake CPU with AMD's Radeon RX Vega M GPU, holding up superbly during content-creation tasks and 1080p gaming on High and Ultra settings.Tom's Guide80Core i7, AMD Vega Meet in Hades CanyonIntel's Kaby Lake-G processors offer surprisingly good performance in an incredibly small package. The NUC8i7HVK is agile in games and applications, and it offers the connectivity to satisfy true enthusiasts. Just be ready to shell out some serious cash for the privilege of owning one. You're also on the hook for storage, memory, and an operating system.TechRadar100Intel Hades Canyon NUC reviewThe Intel Hades Canyon NUC delivers true high-end desktop computing on a single chip packed into an impressively small and well-equipped mini PC.
Surface Duo 2 hands-on: Microsoft gets serious about its dual-screen phone’s cameras
iPad mini review (2021): The best small tablet gets a facelift
More from Intel
- Alphabet, Facebook, Amazon, Intel, eBay, Salesforce and Autodesk asked the agency to leverage global standards.