Olympus OM-D E-M1
Olympus’ latest flagship camera, the O-MD E-M1 Mark III isn’t particularly exciting. It is a bit faster than the last model, and has improved and more versatile autofocus. It also features a class-leading 5-axis image stabilization system that makes handheld photography better. However, the autofocus system doesn’t hold up to rivals, especially Sony, and it’s not great for low-light shooting. It also falls short of similarly-priced rivals like the Panasonic GH5 when it comes to video. While it’s great for wildlife and action photography, for everyone else, there are better cameras out there.
- Excellent image stabilization
- Fast shooting speeds
- Compact weather-proof body
- Flip-out screen
- Accurate colors
- Mediocre low-light capability
- Autofocus can’t keep up to shooting speeds
- Sub-par video features
- Dated sensor
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (10)
- 85AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsTechRadar90A complete package for pros and keen amateursThe Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III is the most compelling Olympus camera yet for pros and enthusiasts. Offering the power of the E-M1X, with the latest TruePic IX processor and in a more compact body, it's a great all-round camera for photography and increasingly for video. Lightning fast and reliable, there is little that the E-M1 Mark III cannot do.Digital Camera World100The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III is the ultimate pro camera for general practice photographyThere are superior dedicated sports cameras, but it can certainly keep pace with them on the court -- and there's more to being "pro" than shooting action. Its unique combination of industry leading IBIS, up to 80MP resolution, 60fps continuous burst, handheld astrophotography, Pro Capture and Live ND filters makes the E-M1 Mark III the most versatile all-purpose camera for professionals looking to take on any job.Camera Jabber80Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III ReviewIn some respects the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III makes a fairly modest step-up from the OM-D E-M1 Mark II, however, it feels more refined and has some great features that make shooting in tricky conditions a little easier. It also enables photographers to travel lighter, not just by being relatively small and light itself, but by allowing tripods and ND filters to be left behind in many situations.Photo Review90Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III reviewThe E-M1 Mark III represents a smart choice for photographers who want to lighten their loads without compromising image quality and performancePhotography Life90Olympus OM-D E-M1 reviewI strongly believe that the lighter weight, compactness, portability, high precision, future technology and lower cost of mirrorless systems will prevail. And the Olympus OM-D E-M1 is a great example of this already happening.ePHOTOzine90Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III ReviewThe Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III offers high-speed shooting, plus a range of innovative features, that make this a compelling travel camera system.Digital Trends80Making impossible shots easyThe Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III is a small camera, sure, but it’s also a camera that can perform in a way that other cameras can’t. Features like Starry Sky AF and handheld high res mode are unique advantages.Hardware Zone70Third time's a charmI have always loved the OM-D's design ethos, which gives great handling, and the E-M1 Mark III is no different. A contoured rubberised grip accommodates all my fingers and makes it comfortable to hold the camera.The Phoblographer80A Travel Photographer's Imperfect GemWhat the camera does, it does fantastically well. When the camera fails, it has ways to stand on its own two feet with crutches. While I think that Olympus has a lot to it that makes them unique, there isn’t enough that’s unique about it to make me want to pull the trigger.Photography Blog80Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III ReviewWe applauded the previous Mark II version as a big step forwards for both Olympus and Micro Four Thirds in general, but the new Mark III is a more conservative release that isn't really going to expand the system's appeal beyond Olympus' loyal user-base.