Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
The Tab S4 would be an excellent Android tablet if Samsung hadn’t tried to do too much with it. By adding DeX software integration, the company hoped to provide a desktop-like interface to boost productivity, but ended up with an finicky interface that’s ultimately unreliable. If the Tab S4 was a pure Android tablet and cost hundreds less it would be great. Alas, it’s too problematic for the price.
- Compact and lightweight design
- Bright and vivid display
- S Pen is included for free
- DeX mode is finicky and unpredictable
- Keyboard accessory and software are awful
Galaxy Tab S4
- Critic Reviews (8)
- User Reviews (2)
- 69AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE8 ReviewsCNET80Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 reviewThe Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is an excellent premium Android tablet that can also help your productivity in a pinch.TechCrunch70Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 reviewI liked the keyboard more than I thought I would, as well, though it’s a bit cramped and using a keyboard without a trackpad feels like relying on a phantom limb. The DeX desktop, meanwhile, is an interesting addition to the tightening convertible tablet race, though it’s got a ways to go before it feels as fully fleshed out Windows 10.Gizmodo70Two Big Things Stopped the S4 From Winning Me OverIn a lot of ways, Samsung made a really faithful Android counterpart to Apple’s iPad Pro. The problem is that because the Tab S4’s lives outside of Apple’s restrictive ecosystem, it has to fend off much tougher and less pricey competition. It’s a sort of a tragedy because while the Tab S4 showed me there’s still very much a place for a premium multi-purpose tablets, but when you take price and productivity into consideration, it’s not my first choice for the one I’d buy.Laptop Magazine70Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 ReviewThe Galaxy Tab S4 pushes Android tablets toward with its productivity-focused DeX mode, but it has a few flaws.PC Mag80Samsung Galaxy Tab S4The Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is the best Android tablet we've seen to date, but it still can't beat Windows-powered 2-in-1s for productivity.Android Authority50This is not a laptopThe Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 won’t replace your laptop. While the new Dex mode offers a great experience, in theory, it feels extremely half-baked — you’ll be consistently frustrated while using it. ... Unless you really, really want an Android tablet, you should not buy the Galaxy Tab S4. Go buy a laptop instead. Or an iPad. Just don’t buy this.Mashable80The first Android tablet that gets productivitySamsung's Galaxy Tab S4 successfully juggles play and productivity with its special DeX mode, but the cost for the convenience is steep.Android Police50Galaxy Tab S4 reviewIf you want a great tablet, buy an iPad. If you want a tablet designed for "real work," buy a Surface Go or Pro. And if you want a lightweight platform for web productivity, buy a Chromebook. There's really no reason to even consider the Tab S4.
- 70AVERAGE USER SCORE2 ReviewsTrey90February 11, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I own the S4 and can tell you it works great. If you don't like DeX mode then you don't have to use it in DeX mode! The resolution and colors are amazing, as is the battery life. It's fast and the S Pen is included. I bought it a few days ago from Verizon because they have a Valentine's Day special for $200 off and thought I'd upgrade from the S3. The S4 is a very good upgrade in so many ways. I've owned 2 iPad in the past so I know a bit about the iPad. I compared the S4 to the iPad Pro 11". The iPad Pro is indeed an impressive device. However the price tag is out of sight. Starts at $800 for a comparable iPad Pro 11, plus another $100 for the pen so you're at $900 plus tax plus case. That's over $1,000 ..... Yikes! I paid $550 for the S4 and another $25 for a nice case. Another plus for S4 is it accepts micro SD cards. You can add 250Gb of storage for $70 if you want. I also like the form factor on the S4 more than the iPad Pro 11. It will display Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime video in true wide screen form factor. The Wifi range and speed on the S4 is fantastic, as is mobile data option for Verizon.If I had to guess I would say the iPad Pro is better for true artists. There's specific apps on the iPad Pro that are optimized for artists (there are apps for Android too but my guess is they are optimized for the iPad Pro screen size). However, the S4 may be better for overall productivity though. Office apps work flawlessly and you can plug external SSD drives directly into the USB-C port (can't do that on the iPad Pro). The S4 also charges quickly - a full charge in about 2.5 hours. DeX mode is tempting but I have not used it yet (I haven't found the need). The battery life on the S4 is a huge upgrade from the S3. The screen is also brighter than the iPad Pro 11 (although the iPad Pro 11 is plenty bright enough). Don't give credibility to this bias review. The S4 is a great device and a bargain compared to the iPad Pro 11 if you can get it $550 as I did.SCi-Fi50August 21, 2018Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Its a 2017 chipset with a 2015 camera, it hasn't enough memory to multitask properly mixed in a free pen that you really wouldn't use much and they want the todays top price. Here is what i think of their price and dodgy tablet, they can sod right off...I wanted a proper 4k tablet with plenty of memory and upto date chipset, not last years knock off. An dont get me started with the android ver they fobbed us off with, not even the latest ver. I can imagine that it doesnt work well with last years chipset or the even older camera!! To think about it I've not even talked about the sound.Tbh I think I will wait for the Tab S4 to come out an buy the S3 at a cheaper price, unfortunately for me the very thought on buying an Apple product gives me nightmares.