Samsung Gear VR controller
Read Full Review
The Gear VR Controller gives Samsung a leg-up over Google’s DayDream View headset -- for now. And as an inexpensive upgrade, it’s something every Gear VR owner will want.
It's exactly what we've been waiting for.
Devindra HardawarApril 18, 2017
- Inexpensive for existing Gear VR owners
- Ergonomic and accurate
- Makes mobile VR more immersive than DayDream
- Gear VR is still limited to Samsung phones
- Software library is just getting started
AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE
Users - Not yet scored
AVERAGE USER SCORE
View All Critic & User Reviews
Samsung Gear VR controller
- Critic Reviews (10)
- 79AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsTom's Guide90Samsung Gear VR Review (2017): A New Way to PlayThe addition of the controller adds a tactile experience to certain games that couldn't be achieved with a traditional gamepad.PC Mag70Samsung Gear VR (2017)Samsung's Gear VR headset becomes much more usable with a handheld controller, but finding good virtual reality content is frustrating.Polygon80Gear VRâ€™s latest iteration is more about the phoLike the headset itself, the controller seems more focused on capturing a sense of fun and play without worrying over the details of nitty-gritty motion control perfection.Android Authority90Samsung Gear VR (2017) reviewAt the end of the day, the Gear VR continues to be a great platform for those that don’t want to invest in more expensive VR solutions but are looking for something a bit more immersive than you’d get with platforms like Google Cardboard.Tech Advisor70Hands-on: Samsung Gear VR reviewIf you're after games, you'll have to wait to see what developers build that takes advantage of the controller - though from the look of Samsung's new VR site, it's making a major investment in VR content. So here's hoping that it lives up to the platforms potential.phoneArena80Samsung Gear VR with Controller ReviewThe wireless Controller is utterly overflowing with potential, but so far it doesn't feel like the Gear VR software library has yet to fully realize it.The Verge70The Gear VRâ€™s new controller is a big step forwaOverall, I also wish the Gear VR controller felt more like an integral part of the Gear VR, instead of one more piece added to an already overcomplicated platform.TechRadar80Samsung Gear VR reviewFor VR newcomers, the new Gear VR with controller is one of the best options on the market and one of the most affordable, at that. If you own the latest Samsung phone, or one released two years ago, this headset/controller combo is the best option available.Stuff80Samsung Gear VR with Controller powered by OculusBetter interaction was exactly what Gear VR needed, in light of Google’s excellent Daydream View headset, and Samsung looks to have delivered. Hopefully there are enough apps and games at launch to take advantage of the new hardware - 70 are apparently in development, which is a good sign.TrustedReviews80Samsung Gear VR reviewMy biggest dislike about the Gear VR was its frustrating head-mounted touchpad that made playing anything other than basic games a complete chore, but having a physical remote that you can point and twirl remedies this issue completely.
Controller / gamepad
More from Samsung
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?
- Including Amazon's Fire HD 10, Anker USB-C chargers, Samsung storage gear and a Humble PC game sale.