Sony Xperia 1 II
The $1,200 Xperia 1 ii is many things, but a crowd-pleaser it is not. In fact, its charm derives from how niche it is. It has a screen meant for movie nerds. Its cameras are meant for film and photo nerds. And thankfully, it’s more than solid in all the other departments that matter, like performance, battery life, and overall software quality. Ultimately, it's that unabashed geekery that will either win you over or drive you away. For people who relish the thrill of laboring over camera settings to get just the right photo or snippet of footage, the Xperia 1 ii scratches that itch like no other phone.
- In-depth controls for photos and video
- 20fps burst shooting is fantastic
- Excellent performance
- Mostly clean software based on Android 10
- Handsome 4K screen
- Oddball design won't work for everyone
- Lousy selfie camera
- This phone slides around constantly
- Some productivity features feel flaky
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (8)
- 83AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE8 ReviewsZDNet80Sony Xperia 1 II reviewSony's Xperia 1 II isn't for everyone -- and even those who are drawn to its features and can handle the form factor may be put off by the four-figure price tag.Wired80Review: Sony Xperia 1 III think this phone is best suited to tinkerers—folks that don't mind fiddling around with settings to get the display calibrated exactly right, messing the equalizer to tune the audio to their liking, or futzing with the camera controls to grab a better shot.CNET80Sony packed this $1,200 phone with camera featuresAs a journalist and scrappy short filmmaker, the phone costs too much for me and I imagine for a lot of other people too. Still, using this phone was a great experience and perhaps Sony can port over these great camera tricks into cheaper phone models in the near future.TechRadar80Sony Xperia 1 II reviewThe Sony Xperia 1 II is the full package as smartphones go, but it isn’t for everyone. Its large size and particular quirks make it something of a niche device, but if you’re looking for a phone with a great rear camera, unbeatable display and a battery that will last you a whole day, you’ve got it here.GSM Arena90Sony Xperia 1 II reviewWhat we're saying is that the Xperia 1 II isn't great value at its projected retail price, and that prevents it from getting an all-out recommendation. What it is, on the other hand, is a great phone for Sony fans or for anyone else with a money-is-no-object attitude looking for one of the best camera systems in a smartphone. Imagine they had released it in March.TrustedReviews80Sony Xperia 1 II ReviewIt packs a nice design, plenty of clever touches (headphone port on a flagship feels almost novel at the point) and great software. Save for the £1000/$1000 price, this is Sony’s best phone for a number of years.Good Housekeeping90Sony Xperia 1 II reviewThis handset is a great all-rounder. It has a long battery life, a fingerprint sensor and a fantastic camera. It may be expensive, but we think it’s worth it.Stuff80Getting the band back togetherCombines a cinephile-grade display with camera smarts taken straight from Sony's Alpha division to great effect. Outright image quality might not be the best, but this feature-packed flagship is still one of the most photographer-friendly handsets around.
More from Sony
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?