Check out Joystiq's continuing
of Sony's Playstation Conference for more information, but lets get down the key facts:
- Worldwide (Asia, Europe, North America) launch in early November
- 1 million units shipped every month,
total of 6 million shipped by the end of 2006
- 100% backwards compatible with existing PS1 & PS2
titles, will upconvert to HD resolutions
- Latest HDMI connectors (1.3?)
- 60GB HDD
"required", supports Linux, acts as a media server
- All PS3 games will ship on Blu-ray discs to
- PS3 online service will feature matchmaking, downloads; free "basic"
- Developers will get final kits in June
- PS3 is "4D"
- The conference is over, no games, no
Well there we have it, more hardware details, and still so many questions. But at least it
is launching in 2006, I don't know if we could survive another Christmas without "true" high definition. One
thing is for sure, just when it looked like Sony might be slipping
, they have come back with a big
plan for continued worldwide dominance. Anyone want to place odds on if they can pull it off?