Update: Joystiq also got a chance to check this bad boy out, they didn't like it quite as much as we did. Take a peek here.
ION Drum Rocker Premium Drum Set Hands onSee all photos
- The kick drum pedal is fairly beefy, and while it's not quite some monster DW rig, it's pretty nice for what it is -- it's certainly going to stand up to abuse better than the Harmonix unit. The action is fairly light, but you'll have to get used to it.
- The pads are way nicer than the original kit's, but they still don't feel like drums, more like really nice practice pads. It'll be interesting to see how they work when used with a game that registers pressure-sensitivity.
- The cymbals are just duplicate pads -- you can actually pick which color you want to double. That led to some odd patterns in Rock Band since the game doesn't know about cymbals, but we'd bet that Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour have it sorted.
- We definitely had to re-calibrate Rock Band to make this rig playable, so don't expect to be able easily to swap between kits or anything.
- Sadly, it doesn't register as a regular MIDI controller when plugged into a computer -- hackers, get on it!