Peterborough, Ontario December 15th, 2008 - Bryston, LTD has announced the introduction of the SST² squared series amplifiers, incorporating several upgrades to all eight models of the hand-built award-winning Bryston SST amplifier topology. Despite the substantial "Squared Series" upgrades, pricing remains unchanged throughout the lineup. Bryston's SST amplifier line begins with the 2B SST (100 watts per channel 8-ohms, 180 per channel 4-ohms at $2650 US) to the 28B SST (1000 watts mono into 8-ohms at $8000 US). See the Bryston Squared Series at CES 2009: The Venetian, Bassano 2601. Depending on the specific model, advances include:
- Balanced Input Stage: The redesigned input stage on all Bryston SST² amplifiers is fully balanced, providing superior EMI (electromagnetic interference) and RF (radio frequency) noise rejection resulting in improved signal to noise performance.
- Power Supply Circuit Board: The power supply boards in the new SST² design incorporate zero point-to-point wiring-all components plug directly into the power supply circuit board, also delivering improved signal to noise performance
- Output Chokes: The new output chokes designed specifically for the new SST² amplifier topology extend the high frequency bandwidth of the product at 20 kHz.
- Soft-Start Circuitry: Bryston amplifiers require an enormous supply of AC power when activated-the new soft-start circuitry in the SST² amplifiers ramp up power demand gradually, presenting less strain on the AC supply utilizing a micro-controller.
- Push Style Power Switch: Replacing Bryston's membrane switch found on previous models, SST² amplifiers feature an extreme-duty push style power switch for improved functionality and durability.
- Simplified Circuit Topology: The SST² amplifiers utilize a reduced circuit board count and substantially less point-to-point wiring, delivering maximized operating efficiency and stunning musical clarity and detail through improved signal to noise levels.
- New power supply transformer design: The SST² amplifiers employ a redesigned power supply transformer that delivers instantaneous current while reducing noise.