Amplifiers are pieces of gear that tend to get passed over when upgrade-itis strikes -- maybe it's the lack of bleeding edge tech features, dizzying lights or the scarcity of buttons. But Bryston's SST line of amplifiers has been a longtime fixture in the high end, both in 2-channel and surround sound setups. All eight models in the SST lineup have been refreshed to SST2 "Squared" status, updating the input stage, power supply, output chokes, and even the lowly power switch. Bryston's hand-built quality has never been cheap, but the company is offering up the SST2 upgrades without raising the price; so prices will range for $2650 for the 100-Watt, 2-channel 2B SST2 all the way up to $8000 1000-Watt, mono 28B SST2. For those of you who crave the latest, check the details after the break; the rest of us will be waiting for your previous generation Bryston hand-me-downs.
Peterborough, Ontario December 15th, 2008 - Bryston, LTD has announced the introduction of the SST² squared series amplifiers, incorporating several upgrades to all eight models of the hand-built award-winning Bryston SST amplifier topology. Despite the substantial "Squared Series" upgrades, pricing remains unchanged throughout the lineup. Bryston's SST amplifier line begins with the 2B SST (100 watts per channel 8-ohms, 180 per channel 4-ohms at $2650 US) to the 28B SST (1000 watts mono into 8-ohms at $8000 US). See the Bryston Squared Series at CES 2009: The Venetian, Bassano 2601. Depending on the specific model, advances include:
- Balanced Input Stage: The redesigned input stage on all Bryston SST² amplifiers is fully balanced, providing superior EMI (electromagnetic interference) and RF (radio frequency) noise rejection resulting in improved signal to noise performance.
- Power Supply Circuit Board: The power supply boards in the new SST² design incorporate zero point-to-point wiring-all components plug directly into the power supply circuit board, also delivering improved signal to noise performance
- Output Chokes: The new output chokes designed specifically for the new SST² amplifier topology extend the high frequency bandwidth of the product at 20 kHz.
- Soft-Start Circuitry: Bryston amplifiers require an enormous supply of AC power when activated-the new soft-start circuitry in the SST² amplifiers ramp up power demand gradually, presenting less strain on the AC supply utilizing a micro-controller.
- Push Style Power Switch: Replacing Bryston's membrane switch found on previous models, SST² amplifiers feature an extreme-duty push style power switch for improved functionality and durability.
- Simplified Circuit Topology: The SST² amplifiers utilize a reduced circuit board count and substantially less point-to-point wiring, delivering maximized operating efficiency and stunning musical clarity and detail through improved signal to noise levels.
- New power supply transformer design: The SST² amplifiers employ a redesigned power supply transformer that delivers instantaneous current while reducing noise.