If you can't quite afford a ticket to attend Super Bowl XLIII, you may still be able to get close enough to feel the noise. If so, there's a decent chance you'll be enjoying the action nearby courtesy of Verizon. This year, said operator has become the first ever "non-partner" vendor allowed in the NFL Experience, as it was selected to wire the Tampa Convention Center and several affiliated hotels in the area with its FiOS fibers. All told, the outfit laid some 14,000 years of fiber in downtown Tampa is preparation for the big game, and FiOS TV will power 143 TVs throughout five downtown venues. Additionally, 116 FiOS TV set-top-boxes were installed along with 138 data lines, though there's no telling if any of this will remain after fans pack up and head home. More details are just past the break.
Verizon FiOS is providing TV and Internet to the NFL Experience in Tampa. This makes Verizon the first ever "non-partner" vendor allowed in the NFL Experience. Verizon FiOS also was selected to wire the Tampa Convention Center and several affiliated hotels in the area.
Some facts about the installation:
· Verizon laid 14,000 yards of fiber – equaling 117 football fields, or close to Ben Roethlisberger's career passing yards –through downtown Tampa for the NFL Experience
· FiOS TV will power 143 TVs throughout 5 downtown venues (NFL Experience, Convention Center and affiliated downtown hotels)
· 116 FiOS TV set top boxes were installed
· 138 data lines were installed
· Nearly 900 digital voice lines were installed