Word on the street is that AT&T kicked off a trial of its 3G MicroCell HSPA-enabled femtocell this week, with units being delivered to signal-deprived homes on Tuesday. We've been hearing about the thing for long enough now that we would've liked to see a release, like, now -- but given that these trials are apparently expected to run through June 9, we guess we wouldn't expect to see it at retail until then, assuming everything goes well. In the meantime, participants are getting 200 bones on top of the unit itself, so color us jealous. Follow the break for AT&T's full email to testers.
[Thanks, anonymous tipster]
Dear AT&T 3G MicroCell Participant,
We are pleased to announced that the AT&T 3G MicroCell Trial plan is finalized. Thank you for your patience as we worked through all the details to make this Trial a success.
Although fundamentally the same, some aspects of the Trial have changed. Please carefully consider the following:
* The unit will be delivered Tuesday, April 7, 2009 by Fed Ex with no signature required.
* The Trial will conclude in approximately 8 weeks, on or around Tuesday, June 9, 2009.
* The payment for fully participating in this Trial is $200.00 - you may keep the 3G MicroCell unit at the conclusion of the Trial.
* Although we ask you to install the unit and take the installation survey as soon as possible, there is no extra incentive for this effort.
* Fewer customers will be participating in the Trial.
To participate in the Trial you must:
* Be in town on Tuesday, April 7, 2009, the day of delivery.
* Not be travelling away from your home for more than one week during the 8 week duration of the Trial.
* Not move during the Trial.
* Actively use a 3G cell phone, as indicated by the 3G logo next to the bars on the phone.
* Maintain your AT&T cell phone service for the duration of the Trial.
* Maintain your high speed internet service for the duration of the Trial.
* Install the unit by Sunday, April 12, 2009.
* Take 3 online surveys within a reasonable period of time.
* Sign a new participant agreement to reflect the schedule and plan (all noted above).
If you are still interested and are able to participate in the Trial, please email me back before end of day on Thursday, March 26, 2009. We will contact you in the next 7 to 10 days to finalize plans.
We deeply appreciate both your business and your willingness to help improve our products. Thank you again for your patience and flexibility.