Westlake Village, Calif., Feb. 17, 2010 – IREX Technologies' DR800SG wireless eReader is officially available on BestBuy.com today.
The device combines an incomparable, paper-like reading experience and the perfect balance between readability and portability with an open approach to buying and transferring content. With 3G wireless capabilities, users can purchase and quickly download an eBook while on the go.
"Consumer awareness and adoption of eReaders is reaching a tipping point – devices were a hot seller this holiday season and the space is poised to explode in 2010," said Kevin Hamilton, CEO, IREX North America, Inc. "This is a purpose-built device for people who love to read. IREX supports multiple file formats, provides access to hundreds of thousands of leading books and periodicals, and now offers a strong retail presence to help us stand out in this competitive market."
Along with immediate availability on BestBuy.com, the device will appear on Best Buy shelves through a phased launch in coming months. Giving users access to the device through a retailer recognized for providing hands-on interaction with technology will drive increased awareness and understanding of eReaders, as potential buyers can see, touch and even test the product – a must do for consumers buying an eReader.
The IREX device includes the Barnes & Noble eBookstore from Barnes & Noble, the world's largest bookseller, giving users access to more than 750,000 titles, including new releases and bestsellers at $9.99. Barnes & Noble expects its eBookstore (www.bn.com/ebooks) will increase to well over one million titles in 2010, inclusive of every available eBook and eBook originals from book publishers.
Agreements with NewspaperDirect and LibreDigital – two leading distributors of digital content – give IREX users access to the most comprehensive collection of newspapers and magazines available in the eReader market, up to 1,100 more titles than what is currently available on some competitive devices.
"A flurry of eReaders and tablets were announced at CES in January, but the reality is that many of these devices are not widely availability. Shoppers can head to BestBuy.com and purchase the DR800SG immediately, putting their favorite eBooks, newspapers and magazines just a few clicks away – not a few months away," said Hamilton.
Key product specifications
· Purchase content on the go – wireless service for the IREX device is provided by Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest and most reliable 3G network. Qualcomm's Gobi™ multi-mode 3G embedded module drives connectivity to 3G networks around the world.
· Big screen, compact design – some competitive devices offer a similarly-sized device but with a much smaller display area. IREX's 8.1-inch screen is ideal for books, magazines and newspapers with detailed graphics.
· Purpose-built device – the DR800SG features the latest electronic paper display technology, using E Ink's Vizplex imaging film, to deliver an experience that is closer to reading ordinary paper than possible with a netbook or tablet device. It also has a longer battery life and is lightweight.
· Easy navigation – the device turns pages faster than competing products and navigation is easy with an interactive stylus-driven touch screen. Users can search their library or add a bookmark with the tap of a stylus or skim an eBook with the touch of a thumb.
· Customized reading – users can enlarge or reduce text size and margin widths, or select portrait or landscape mode to suit their preferences.
Pricing and availability
The IREX DR800SG has an MSRP of $399.99, which includes access to a variety of free content. Wireless access to downloaded content is included in the cost of the DR800SG and no contract is required.