Update: Nothing in particular to write home about, but LG has just unveiled the Ally's nearly complete spec sheet. [Thanks, Rey E.]
Verizon Wireless and LG Mobile Phones Connect Customers to the Superhero Within
New LG Ally Smartphone Prepares Customers for the Adventures of Today and the Thrills of Tomorrow
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and SAN DIEGO, May 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless and LG Electronics MobileComm U.S.A., Inc. (LG Mobile Phones), today announced the LG Ally™ will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores beginning May 20. The first Android device from LG, the Ally is the perfect assembly of futuristic, stylish design and 3G Android power for customers looking to tackle life's most challenging feats and everyday ventures. Verizon Wireless customers can pre-order the phone at www.verizonwireless.com beginning May 13.
* Ergonomic silver-and-black outer case
* Large 3.2" tempered glass touch screen featuring touch vibration for tactile feedback
* Full slide-out QWERTY keyboard with simultaneous touch screen capabilities
* microSD™ slot for up to 16 GB of memory
* Wi-Fi Enabled® (802.11 b/g/n)
* Bluetooth® 2.1 capabilities with unlimited pairing and support for the following profiles: headset, hands-free, object push, stereo, audio/visual remote control, file transfer, phonebook access, basic printing and instant sharing of photos and videos
* Built-in MP3 and WMA music player with music library, repeat and shuffle features, as well as stereo sound via headset or Bluetooth
* One-touch speaker phone and speaker-independent voice commands
* Five customizable home screens with shortcuts to text messages, e-mail, apps, favorite social networking sites and widgets
* Access to up to 38,000 apps from around the world in Android Market™
* Luminous sensor designed to adjust LCD backlight brightness depending on light conditions
* Proximity sensor instantly locks touch screen buttons while talking on the phone
* S-GPS support for enhanced location accuracy in addition to turn-by-turn directions from Google Maps™
* Access to updates on Twitter, MySpace, Facebook®, etc.
* 3D App launcher and Live Wallpaper
* 3.2 megapixel autofocus camera and camcorder with flash that includes:
o Five different camera resolutions and three different video resolutions
o Zoom up to 4.0 times
o Macro Mode for detailed, up close pictures
o Panorama for three guided sequential shots
o Scene mode for auto, portrait, landscape, sports and night settings
o Image editor with zoom, rotate, resize, crop, added frames and stamps
o Customize brightness, white balance, shutter sounds, color effects and use a self-timer
o Choose between mute and unmute to record video with or without sound
o Optimize video quality with normal, fine or super camcorder settings
o Video recording time up to 16 GB
Pricing and availability:
* The LG Ally will be available for pre-order online at www.verizonwireless.com beginning May 13. It will be in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores on May 20. Pricing will be $99.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
* LG Ally customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk Plan and an Email and Web for Smartphone plan. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Email and Web for Smartphone plans start at $29.99 for unlimited monthly access.
* For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
*Verizon has acquired AOL, Engadget's parent company. However, Engadget maintains full editorial control, and Verizon will have to pry it from our cold, dead hands.