- For starters, we've got a pair of newcomers to the Lumix FH series, the FH5 and FH2. Both of these are sporting sleek, svelte exteriors, with the DMC-FH5 nabbing a 16 megapixel sensor and the DMC-FH2 stepping down to 14 megapixels. Both of 'em feature a newly-developed retractable 28mm wide-angle lens, a 4x optical zoom and a 720p movie mode. You'll also find a newly-incorporated Venue Engine VI, which hastens startup and overall reaction times. Mega optical image stabilization, face detection and an intelligent scene selector are all included, as is the Lumix Image Uploader to get your shots up onto the web, STAT. Pricing on this duo is expected at a later date, though we are told that the FH5 will ship in silver, violet, black and gold, while the FH2 dons black, red, pink and blue outfits.
- Looking for something with a bit more pizazz? The ultrathin FP series is growing by two today as well, with the 16.1 megapixel DMC-FP7 and 14.1 megapixel DMC-FP5 offering up a sexy exterior, 4x optical zoom and a 720p movie mode. The FP7 goes with a mirror-like finish, while the FP5 sticks with matte. The FP7 (shown above) also has a nicer-than-average rear, with a 3.5-inch LCD; the FP5 steps it down ever-so-slightly to a 3.0-incher. Both models include Smart Touch Screens that enable shooters to tweak lots of settings within hitting a single physical button, and the FP7 goes one step further by offering one-touch re-touching. The duo also incorporates Panny's Venus Engine VI, mega optical image stabilization, face detection, an intelligent scene selector and a dedicated iA button. Pricing remains a mystery for these as well, but you can decide between red, blue and black on the FP7 or black, pink, silver and blue on the FP5.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP5 and Lumix FP7 cameras at CES 2011See all photos
Panasonic Lumix FH series cameras at CES 2011See all photos
PANASONIC INTRODUCES ULTRA-SLIM LUMIX FP-SERIES DIGITAL CAMERAS WITH LARGE TOUCH-CONTROL LCD
LUMIX FP7 and LUMIX FP5 – With a Folded Optics Design, Mirror Finish* and Advanced Features like HD Video – are the Ultimate Digital Camera Choices for Style and Performance
LAS VEGAS, NV (January 5, 2011) – Panasonic today introduced two ultra-slim LUMIX models to its 2011 line, perfect for consumers seeking a fashionable camera with loads of advanced photo and video features. The LUMIX DMC-FP7 (16.1 megapixel) and LUMIX DMC-FP5 (14.1 megapixel) maintain their slim profiles by incorporating an ultra-thin 4x optical zoom lens** with folded optics. Complete with a sleek mirror finish on the LUMIX FP7 and a matte finish on the FP5, both cameras have high-performing features that complement the design, such as 720p High Definition (HD) video recording, large touch-control LCDs and easy-to-use settings like Intelligent Auto (iA).
"Panasonic's LUMIX FP-Series is perfect for the style-conscious consumer who cares about the look of the digital camera as much as the stunning images it captures," said David Briganti, Senior Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. "Panasonic is committed to incorporating user-friendly features that make taking high-quality photos easy. For example, by incorporating the popular iA setting, allowing users to have confidence that the right setting is engaged, without having to change it themselves. And we are always adding creative, interesting options like the new Beauty Retouch mode on the LUMIX FP7 which takes advantage of the popular and easy-to-use touch-control operation to retouch faces in photographs."
The LUMIX FP7 takes Panasonic's touch-control LCD to the next level with a new 3.5-inch 16:9 LCD that offers not only a larger view of images, but also increased usability. The LUMIX FP5 features a 3.0-inch 3:2 LCD and both models include Smart Touch Screens allowing users to enable Touch Auto Focus (AF), Touch Zoom, Touch Shutter and Intelligent Scene Selector simply by touching the screen. All menu setting options are now available with touch control and in playback mode users can drag the image across the screen with their finger to browse the collection of photos, as though it is a page in a book. Additionally, the LUMIX FP7 features three new modes that let users get creative by manually (with the touch of a finger) editing their photos. These new modes include:
• Beauty Retouch mode allows users to retouch faces
• Esthetic mode creates effects on faces such as clearing skin texture and whitening teeth
• Make-up mode gives color options such as foundation, eye-shadow or coloring for the lips and cheeks
The LUMIX FP7 and LUMIX FP5 are stylish, yet still full with substance thanks to the Venus Engine VI image processor with Intelligent Resolution technology. The digital cameras are fast, with shutter release lag times as short as 0.006(FP7) / 0.005 (FP5) per second and by adding Sonic Speed AF users can capture high quality spur-of-the-moment images even faster.
Using a folded optics design allows the LUMIX FP7 and FP5 to remain ultra-thin, yet still have a high-quality 4x optical zoom. In addition, the new zoom button makes the LUMIX cameras look even more sleek. Also taking advantage of Intelligent Resolution, the Intelligent Zoom function on the LUMIX FP7 and LUMIX FP5 allows the powerful 4x optical zoom to increase to 5x equivalent without compromising picture quality.
Panasonic's popular iA mode, a suite of technologies that engage automatically – with no setting changes needed by the user – makes it easy for anyone to take beautiful photos. The LUMIX FP7 and LUMIX FP5 feature two new iA functions – AF Tracking and Intelligent Exposure. AF Tracking locks onto any subject and keep it in focus even if it moves, while the Intelligent Exposure optimizes the exposure for each part of an image, preventing blocked shadows and blown highlights and helping ensure that gradation and details are reproduced beautifully. The automatic backlight compensation function activates whenever the camera detects the subject is in backlight. Other features of Panasonic iA include:
• MEGA OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) – Reduces blurry photos due to hand-shake
• Intelligent ISO Control – Reduces blur when the subject is moving
• Face Detection – Ensures registered faces are captured in focus with appropriate exposure and unwanted red eyes are digitally corrected
• Intelligent Scene Selector – Selects the best option from: Macro, Portrait, Scenery, Night Portrait, Night Scenery and Sunset
• Dedicated iA button – Lets users engage easily with one click
Other features of the LUMIX FP7 and LUMIX FP5 include:
• LUMIX Image Uploader – Share images via Facebook and video via YouTube
• Intelligent LCD – Detects the lighting conditions and controls the brightness level in 11 finely graduated steps, to display the most appropriate setting
• 70MB of built-in memory
The LUMIX FP7 will be available in blue, black and red, while the LUMIX FP5 will be available in blue, black, pink and silver. Pricing and availability for both models will be announced 30 days prior to shipping date. For more information, please visit www.panasonic.com/CES.
PANASONIC ADDS FEATURE-PACKED, SUPER-SLIM LUMIXDIGITAL CAMERAS WITH HD RECORDING CAPABILITIES
New Panasonic LUMIX FH5 and LUMIX FH2 Include Advanced, Easy-To-Use Features Including Intelligent Auto Mode to Create Beautiful, High-Quality Photos and Videos
LAS VEGAS, NV (January 5, 2011) – Panasonic today introduces two slim and stylish digital cameras to its highly-successful LUMIX FH-Series. The ultra-compact 16.1 megapixel LUMIX DMC-FH5 and 14.1 megapixel LUMIX DMC-FH2 both feature newly-developed retractable, high-quality 28mm wide-angle LEICA DC lenses with a 4x optical zoom. With the new retractable lens, the LUMIX FH5 and LUMIX FH2 have approximately 20% slimmer profiles than their predecessors, while still maintaining exceptional performance. Both models also record 1280 x 720p High Definition (HD) video.
"The new additions to the popular LUMIX FH-Series provide the same advanced features that consumers have come to expect from the LUMIX brand, such as Intelligent Auto mode and Intelligent Zoom, but now offer even greater speed and accuracy," said David Briganti, Senior Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. "Panasonic continues to pack a variety of valuable features into slim camera bodies making shooting easier, convenient and fun."
The newly-incorporated Venus Engine VI in the LUMIX FH5 and LUMIX FH2 elevates resolution performance, zooming capabilities, start-up speed and auto focusing. The Intelligent Resolution technology realizes optimum signal processing to give the entire image outstanding natural clarity. Taking advantage of the powerful Intelligent Resolution, the 4x optical zoom* power is increased to 5x with the Intelligent Zoom function, while still preserving photo quality.
Panasonic's popular iA (Intelligent Auto) mode, a suite of technologies that engage automatically, with no setting changes needed, makes it easy for anyone to take beautiful photos. The LUMIX FH5 and LUMIX FH2 feature two new iA functions – AF (Auto Focus) Tracking and Intelligent Exposure. AF Tracking locks onto any subject and keeps it in focus. Intelligent Exposure optimizes the exposure for each part of an image, preventing blocked shadows and blown highlights, while helping to ensure that gradation and details are reproduced flawlessly. Other features of Panasonic iA mode include:
• MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization) – Helps reduce blurry photos due to hand-shake
• Intelligent ISO Control – Reduces blur when the subject is moving
• Face Detection – Helps to ensure registered faces are captured in focus with appropriate exposure, and also digitally corrects unwanted red eyes
• Intelligent Scene Selector – Selects the best option from Macro, Portrait, Scenery, Night Portrait, Night Scenery and Sunset by detecting the environment
Users can also enjoy instant photo and video sharing with LUMIX Image Uploader. Simply check the photos/videos you want to share and connect the camera to a PC. Uploading starts just by following the easy on-screen guide.
Other features include:
• Intelligent LCD – The LCD detects the lighting conditions and controls the brightness level in 11 fine steps, to display the most appropriate setting
• Scene Modes – A total of 28 modes, such as Baby, Pet and Sports, and users can also record the name/birthday of a child or pet and embed the information in the photo
• Built-in memory – Has increased to 70MB
Pricing and availability for the Panasonic LUMIX FH5 and LUMIX FH2 will be announced 30 days prior to shipping date. Encased in a metallic, noble hairline finish, the LUMIX FH5 will be available in silver, black, violet and gold models and the LUMIX FH2 in black, pink, red and blue. For more on these Panasonic LUMIX models, please visit www.panasonic.com/CES.