Lumix goodness? You betcha. Hot on the heels of Panasonic's CES unveiling of the FP5, FP7, FH5 and FH2 ultraslim compact camera comes this: even more Lumix compacts. Per usual, we'll tell you exactly what you need to know below, and those hungry for more can peek the full releases after the break.
- Up first we have two new folks joining the S series: the DMC-S3 and DMC-S1. Both of these are designed for up-and-comers looking for ease of use, with the S3 having a 14.1 megapixel sensor and the S1 dipping to a 12.1 megapixel sensor. Both of 'em tout a 720p movie mode, refreshed designs and a 4x optical zoom lens. Panny admits that they're both "entry-level," though you'll still find optical image stabilization, face detection, an intelligent scene selector and the Venus Engine VI image processor. There's a 2.7-inch LCD on the rear of each unit, and while the S3 will ship in blue, red, black and violet, the S1 will arrive in black, gold, blue, pink and silver. Mum's the word on a price and release date, sadly.
- The DMC-FH27 and DMC-FH25 point-and-shoots are both aimed at the fashionistas in the crowd, with the pair touting a 16.1 megapixel sensor, 8x optical zoom lens and a 720p movie mode. There's also an advanced Intelligent Auto mode for those who detest fiddling with settings, and the Venus Engine VI image processor promises to speed up just about everything dealing with operation. Face detection, optical image stabilization and an intelligent scene selector are all present, though the FH27's 3-inch rear LCD one-ups the 2.7-inch panel that's on the FH25. Per usual, Panny's keeping its trap shut when it comes to a price and release date.
Gallery | 13 Photos
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3 and DMC-S1 cameras at CES 2011
Gallery | 35 Photos
Panasonic Lumix FH series cameras at CES 2011
PANASONIC'S NEW LUMIX S-SERIES DIGITAL CAMERAS EXCEL IN EASE OF USE WITH SMART PHOTO & VIDEO FEATURES
New LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 Are the Ultimate Easy-to-Use Digital Cameras to Take High-Quality Photos & Videos and Easily Share via Social Networking Sites
LAS VEGAS, NV (January 5, 2011) – Panasonic today announced the new LUMIX S-Series digital cameras, the LUMIX DMC-S3 and LUMIX DMC-S1 – two easy-to-use models that offer smart features, making them ideal for users wanting an extremely intuitive experience for taking high-quality photos and 720p (at 30fps) High Definition videos. The 14.1-megapixel LUMIX S3 and 12.1-megapixel LUMIX S1 also feature a new design, with a distinct rounded shape that fits comfortably in the palm of the hand, to differentiate the models from the rest of the LUMIX line. With a 28mm* wide-angle 4x optical zoom lens, these entry-level LUMIX digital cameras are extremely versatile, helping consumers get superb shots both far and wide.
"With Panasonic's new LUMIX S-Series, we are giving consumers really intuitive digital cameras that provide smart features for users who simply want to take exceptional photos and videos," said David Briganti, Senior Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. "In addition to advanced features like a 28mm wide-angle lens and HD video, the S-Series also offer a simple solution for sharing videos and photos on popular sites such as YouTube and Facebook."
Both the LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 feature Panasonic's Intelligent Auto (iA) mode to help ensure these models are extremely intuitive. Panasonic's iA mode is a suite of technologies that engage automatically – with no setting changes needed by the user – makes it easy for anyone to take beautiful photos. Features include:
• MEGA OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) – Helps reduce blurry photos due to hand-shake.
• Intelligent ISO Control – Detects the speed of the subject's movement and determines the right combination of ISO sensitivity and shutter speed to help prevent motion blur.
• Face Detection – Helps to ensures registered faces are captured in focus with appropriate exposure and unwanted red eyes are digitally corrected**.
• Intelligent Scene Selector – Selects the best option from Macro, Portrait, Scenery, Night Portrait, Night Scenery and Sunset by detecting the environment.
The LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 are powered by the high-performing Venus Engine VI image processor, which accounts for their fast response times and image quality. The shutter release time lag is approximately .007 (S3) / 0.008 (S1) per second.
Photos and videos recorded on the LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 can easily be shared with friends and family via the LUMIX Image Uploader. The user simply connects the camera to a computer (no software needed), checkmarks the photos they want to share and it will prompt a step-by-step menu to upload photos to Facebook. For videos, the same processes will be prompted, but will upload to YouTube.
Other features of the LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 include:
• 2.7-inch large Intelligent LCD which automatically adjusts the screen brightness as the surrounding brightness level changes, ensuring easy visibility at all times.
• The built-in memory of 70MB (DMC-S3) and 20MB (DMC-S1) and a rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
Pricing and availability for the Panasonic LUMIX S3 and LUMIX S1 will be announced 30 days prior to shipping date. The LUMIX S3 will be available in blue, red, black and violet while the LUMIX S1 will be available in blue, black, gold, pink and silver. For more information, please visit www.panasonic.com/CES.
* 35mm camera equivalent.
** *Digital red-eye correction is available on LUMIX DMC-S3 only.
PANASONIC INTRODUCES FEATURE-RICH SLEEK AND STYLISH LUMIX DIGITAL CAMERAS WITH LEICA WIDE-ANGLE LENSES AND POWERFUL 8X OPTICAL ZOOM
New Panasonic LUMIX FH27 Packs Powerful Features, Including Touch-Control and Intelligent Resolution to Make Shooting High-Quality Photos Easy
LAS VEGAS, NV (January 5, 2011) – Panasonic today introduced two sleek and stylish digital cameras to its 2011 LUMIX line – both of which are ideal for sophisticated users who want rich and easy-to-use features delivered in a small and attractive package. The LUMIX DMC-FH27 and LUMIX DMC-FH25 shoot high-quality 16.1 megapixel images and combine a 28mm wide-angle*1 LEICA DC lens with a powerful 8x optical zoom to take amazing photos. Redesigned with an easy-to-hold grip and slim and stylish profile, both models feature large Intelligent LCDs, 720p High Definition (HD) video recording and an advanced iA (Intelligent Auto) for ease of use.
"The new Panasonic LUMIX FH27 and LUMIX FH25 build on the momentum from last year's introduction of the popular FH Series, which consumers loved for their size and performance," said David Briganti, Senior Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. "These digital cameras pack a powerful punch in a sleek, stylish design – from the wide-angle LEICA lens to the formidable zooming and smart features like Panasonic's advanced iA. Panasonic's goal with the FH Series is to provide consumers with high-quality features in a pocket-able, easy-to-use camera that does not sacrifice style."
At the core of the LUMIX FH27 and LUMIX FH25 is the Venus Engine VI image processor with Intelligent Resolution technology for shooting clear and crisp digital photos and videos. The cameras feature a fast response time with shutter release lag times as short as approximately 0.005 seconds and, by adding Sonic Speed AutoFocus (AF), users can easily capture spur-of-the-moment photos. Using Intelligent Resolution technology, the Intelligent Zoom extends the powerful 8x optical zoom to increase to 10x equivalent without compromising picture quality.
Panasonic's popular iA mode, a suite of technologies that engage automatically – with no setting changes needed by the user – makes it easy for anyone to take beautiful photos. The LUMIX FH27 and LUMIX FH25 feature two new iA functions – AF (Auto Focus) Tracking and Intelligent Exposure. AF Tracking locks onto any subject and keeps it in focus even if it moves, while the Intelligent Exposure optimizes the exposure for each part of an image, preventing blocked shadows and blown highlights and helping ensure that gradation and details are reproduced beautifully. The automatic backlight compensation function activates whenever the camera detects the subject is in backlight. Other features of Panasonic iA, which can be engaged with a dedicated button, include:
• MEGA OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) – Reduces blurry photos that result from hand-shake.
• Intelligent ISO Control – Reduces blur when the subject is moving.
• Face Detection – Helps to ensures registered faces are captured in focus with appropriate exposure and unwanted red eyes are digitally corrected.
• Intelligent Scene Selector – Selects the best option from: Macro, Portrait, Scenery, Night Portrait, Night Scenery and Sunset by detecting the environment.
Furthering its ease-of-use, the LUMIX FH27 features full touch-control operation with the new Smart Touch Screen on its 3.0" large, 230,000-dot LCD allowing users to enable Touch AF, Touch Zoom, Touch Shutter and Intelligent Scene Selector simply by touching the screen. The menu setting is now available with touch control and in playback mode users can drag the image across the screen with their finger to browse the collection of photos. The Panasonic LUMIX FH25 features a 2.7-inch Intelligent LCD without touch control.
Other features of the LUMIX FH27 and LUMIX FH25 include:
• LUMIX Image Uploader – Easily share images via Facebook and videos via YouTube.
• Intelligent LCD – Detects the lighting conditions and controls the brightness level in 11 fine steps, to display the most appropriate setting.
• Scene Modes – A total of 28 modes, such as Baby, Pet and Sports, let the user choose the setting and the camera do the rest. Users can also record the name/birthday of a child or pet and embed the information in the photo and have it printed if desired.
• Built-in memory has increased to 70MB.
Pricing and availability for the Panasonic LUMIX FH27 and LUMIX FH25 will be announced 30 days prior to shipping date. Encased in a brushed metal-finished panel, the LUMIX FH27 will be available in black, red and silver while the LUMIX FH25 will be available in silver, black, red, blue and violet models. For more information, please visit www.panasonic.com/CES.
*1 35mm camera equivalent.
YouTube is a trademark of Google Inc.
Facebook is a registered trademarks of Facebook, Inc.
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.