NPR Music iPad app
AVAILABLE – ALWAYS FREE! – IN THE APP STORE
NPR MUSIC PRESENTS THE SHINS LIVE IN-APP CONCERT,
STREAMING EXCLUSIVELY IN iPAD APP MARCH 7
February 15, 2012
Continuing to establish public media as the premier home for music that matters, NPR Music amplifies its inventive and award-winning content for a new platform with the NPR Music iPad App, now available as a free download in the App store. The NPR Music iPad App presents an immersive audio and visual experience optimized for the tablet's capabilities. With just a tap and a swipe, audiences can navigate through exclusive public radio live performances, interviews, signature programs, original reporting and commentary, advance album listens, and live station streams. The App also features a groundbreaking visual playlist that can be saved for offline listening.
On March 7, NPR Music will present an exclusive in-app concert with The Shins, who will perform songs from the anticipated new album Port of Morrow. The special invite-only event from (Le) Poisson Rouge in New York City will stream live exclusively in the NPR Music iPad App, beginning that evening at 10PM (ET). The concert will replay on NPR.org beginning March 8. More details and a calendar reminder for the live event can be obtained in the App. Fans of The Shins in New York City should be on the lookout for an opportunity to attend this one-time concert.
Built entirely in-house by NPR's digital media team, the iPad App uses animations to create a true multimedia music magazine – a robust merger of audio, text and video in one stunning app. The App's home screen opens to the latest NPR Music content and gives immediate access to NPR Music Radio and live streams from more than 100 public radio stations. Fans can dive right in or browse more selectively by filtering from content types (read Articles, watch Videos, listen to Programs) or genres (Rock, Jazz, Classical, Folk, Hip-Hop/R&B, World or Electronic/Dance). A persistent audio player allows for continuous discovery and a playlist can be easily built by dragging and dropping. The App also encourages engagement and exploration through a Related Stories section and also a special feature that suggests NPR Music stories based on artists already in an individual's iTunes library.
All of NPR Music's programs are available in the iPad App, including the weekly music shows All Songs Considered and Alt.Latino; Tiny Desk Concerts, stripped-down performances recorded live at All Songs Considered host Bob Boilen's desk; the eclectic interview and performance show World Cafe from WXPN in Philadelphia; and "Live at the Village Vanguard" with WBGO in Newark, recorded at the famed jazz venue. NPR Music's special coverage and live concert streams from popular music festivals such as South by Southwest, Sasquatch! and the Newport Folk and Jazz festivals are also available through the App.
Lexus is the exclusive launch sponsor of the NPR Music iPad App. The new Music App offers the same innovative sponsorship elements as the award-winning NPR News App, which garnered back-to-back Media Vanguard Awards from Ad Age in 2010 and 2011 for best broadcast-to-digital app suite.
NPR Music celebrates great music in every genre and is an industry leader in music discovery. The Emmy Award-winning free, multimedia website at www.npr.org/music offers new features daily and an extensive archive, in collaboration with NPR's newsmagazines, public radio Member stations and the passionate NPR community. The NPR Music iPad App joins the ever-expanding suite of NPR Mobile, allowing anyone with a mobile device to enjoy NPR News, NPR Music and Member station content for free.
Visually browse through the app to explore and filter content by
- Media type (articles, music, videos)
- Genres: Rock, Jazz & Blues, Classical, Hip-Hop/R&B, Folk, World, Electronic/Dance
- Programs: First Listen Album Previews, All Songs Considered, Song of the Day, World Cafe, Alt.Latino, etc.
Immerse yourself in NPR Music content with
- Story pages that provide rich editorial content
- The latest music news, interviews, reviews, and lists
- A "Related Stories" feature that offers additional content you might like
- Tools to share new discoveries and purchase featured music
Stream your favorite music stations and discover new ones with
- Live music streams from 100 public radio stations and NPR programs
- The ability to browse by genre and editors' picks
- The ability to set favorite radio stations
- Handpicked music by public radio DJs
Customize your experience with these playlist features
- Groundbreaking visual layout for items added to your playlist
- Ability to save your playlist for offline listening
- Our "Recommended For You" section suggests other stories based on what's in your playlist
- Opt-in feature suggests NPR Music stories based on artists in your iTunes Library
Other features include:
- Live video streaming of NPR Music concerts and showcases
- AirPlay-enabled (requires your device to be on iOS 5+ and latest version of Apple TV software)
Requires iOS 4.3.3 or later