Sure, it's not as revolutionary as the new automated ad skipping built into its DVRs, but Dish Network has also just revamped its Remote Access iPad app. While other pay-TV providers are proud about streaming channels to mobile devices only within the home or shifting a few recordings, Dish's tight Sling integration still provides the most video wherever the user might be, as well as DVR management, a full guide and remote control. The 3.0.3 upgrade brings an entirely new user interface that's optimized for the retina display, guide data without interrupting the video, favorite channels list, and claims to speed up the process of both loading various screens and connecting to stream live TV. Hit iTunes for the updated app or read the press release after the break for more details and let us know how it's working for you.
Dish Network Remote Access iPad app
DISH Steps Up TV Everywhere Technology With Enhanced App for iPad
· Watch live TV, DVR recordings and on-demand programs
· Stream premium and Blockbuster programs
· Performance improved and program browsing simplified
· New user interface leverages iOS5 and iPad 3 Retina display
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 11, 2012 – DISH, one of the nation's leading pay-TV providers, is making TV and on-demand programs more engaging to watch on the iPad with the revamped DISH Remote Access app. Available now, this free app improves the performance and enhances the on-screen dashboard so customers can easily find and watch their favorite programs on the popular mobile device.
DISH is the only pay-TV provider with comprehensive TV Everywhere™ technology and the DISH Remote Access app is a key element of that capability.
Customers can watch live and recorded TV anytime, anywhere using the app in concert with an Internet-connected DISH receiver and a Sling® Adapter. On the iPad, DISH offers the added ability to stream thousands of titles from an expansive on-demand library of Blockbuster titles and premium networks.
In addition to the on-demand programs, the DISH app lets customers with an iPad access shows recorded using PrimeTime Anytime™, an exclusive feature found on the DISH Hopper™ Whole-Home HD DVR. PrimeTime Anytime allows customers, with one click, to record all of the primetime TV programming on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in high definition. Programs recorded with PrimeTime Anytime are available on the Hopper (and through the DISH Remote Access app) for eight days after they have aired.
"The enhanced app improves an already dynamic and engaging TV viewing experience on the iPad," said Vivek Khemka, vice president of Product Management at DISH. "The magic of our app is that it extends the value of DISH programming beyond the home. Customers can watch their programs anywhere and, with this upgrade, the viewing experience is even better."
The enhanced DISH Remote Access app improves on-device video quality, particularly on the new iPad 3's Retina display, with the implementation of Apple's HTTP live streaming (HLS) technology. The app features simple on-screen browsing that provides a responsive entertainment experience, including:
· A multi-tasking slider that allows users to simultaneously watch a program and, with the swipe of a finger, browse available video content without interrupting the current program on screen.
· A DVR tab that includes a PrimeTime Anytime section, allowing DISH customers with the new Hopper to watch on their iPad the primetime shows from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC recorded on their DVR.
· A Blockbuster @Home-branded tab that allows users to quickly access thousands of on-demand movies and children's programs for DISH customers who subscribe to this service.
· An On Demand tab that makes it easy for DISH customers to access on-demand titles from popular networks, including HBO, Cinemax, EPIX, Encore, Starz and MoviePlex.
· A Guide tab that has been visually enhanced and now uses color coding options to highlight select categories of programs, including movies, sports, shows, family and favorites selections.
To watch live TV on the iPad, subscribers need a Sling Adapter from DISH and a compatible broadband-connected DISH HD DVR receiver, such as DISH's Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR.
More information is available at www.dish.com/technology/tv-everywhere.
The Blockbuster @Home premium service includes thousands of streaming programs on the iPad from networks including Encore, Epix, Starz and MoviePlex; features a disc-by-mail service for DVDs, Blu-Rays and games; and more than 20 additional programming channels available through the set top box. The Blockbuster package is available to DISH customers for $10 per month.
The DISH Remote Access app is available for free on iTunes.
# # #