Fujitsu's original ScanSnap S1300 earned a soft spot in our hearts -- no mean feat for a scanner -- so it's with piqued interest that we catch word of a direct upgrade. The S1300i is all about serving those of us who might never send scan results to a printer. Android and iOS aficionados now only have to send the results to a relevant mobile app, skipping the usual computer-to-phone shuffle. That stack of receipts can also go skip devices entirely and go straight to the cloud, whether it's Dropbox, Evernote, Google Docs, Salesforce Chatter or SugarSync. However that paper gets converted to digital, it'll be accomplished about 50 percent faster, or 12 double-sided, color pages every minute. All the extras lift the price price even higher, though: $295 is a lot to ask for a scanner. Even so, if that stack of bills is high enough to trigger an avalanche, it might be worth the premium to avoid being snowed in.
Fujitsu Introduces New Personal and Portable ScanSnap Scanner With New Productivity Features, Faster Scanning Speeds and Android™ and Apple® iOS Device Support
ScanSnap S1300i for PC and Mac Equipped with New Cloud Services Support for Dropbox and "ScanSnap Folder" Function Enabling Users to Easily Store, Share and Access Documents Anywhere, Anytime
Sunnyvale, CA, June 22, 2012 - Fujitsu, the market leader in document imaging scanners, today introduced the newest addition to its portable ScanSnap product lineup for PC and Mac users. The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i is enhanced with faster scanning speeds, the ability to send and store scanned documents to Android™ and iOS compatible devices, and new functionality allowing users to easily upload scans to cloud-based services such as Dropbox, Evernote, Google Docs™, SugarSync and Salesforce Chatter™.
The compact Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i, weighing in at just 3.1 lbs., provides the same easy-to-use one-button scanning and reliable operation as its predecessors giving consumers and business professionals the most productive, versatile scanning experience at home or on the go. Now, with the addition of its new features and functionalities, the ScanSnap S1300i delivers an array of capabilities that no other document management company offers in a compact scanning solution. New and enhanced features of the ScanSnap S1300i include:
* Scan to Mobile -- Android Tablet/Smartphone Support: With the free "ScanSnap Connect" app users now have the capability to send scanned paperwork to Android compatible tablets and smartphones running OS 2.2*. The App is also available for both the iPad and iPhone running iOS 4.2.1 or later. "ScanSnap Connect" not only provides a convenient way to send and store scans to mobile devices using your existing WiFi connection, but also gives organizations a flexible solution to assist with collaboration between colleagues and business partners. The App can be downloaded in the Google Play Store and the iTunes App Store.
* Cloud Services Support: Users can now scan documents directly to Dropbox, the popular digital storage service, giving them even more flexibility to store, share and access their paperwork. Furthermore, the ScanSnap S1300i scans directly to Evernote, Google Docs, SugarSync and Salesforce Chatter. Whether it is scanning contracts, bills, invoices, or business cards on the road or using a PC in one place and a Mac in another, consumers have the necessary tools to be even more productive and paperless virtually anywhere.
* "ScanSnap Folder": Stay in the moment and extend the power of one-button scanning into virtually any Windows application, even in the cloud, with the "ScanSnap Folder" function. This new feature essentially replicates ScanSnap as a Windows folder which the user can open from their favorite software and web applications** allowing them to automatically attach/upload the digital files produced by the ScanSnap S1300i for the ultimate in "Scan there!" versatility.
* Faster Scanning Performance: Faster scanning speeds of up to 12 double-sided color pages per minute (ppm), even while using its advanced intelligent image-processing technology, make the ScanSnap S1300i up to 1.5 times faster than its predecessor.
"We're excited that ScanSnap has integrated Dropbox into their devices via the Dropbox API to give our mutual users a great solution for digitizing and managing their content across multiple platforms," said Ilya Fushman, head of Platform Business Development and Corporate Development, Dropbox, Inc.
* "In the constantly evolving and fast-paced world that we live in today, people need a versatile and flexible solution to help them keep up with the demands and that is exactly what the ScanSnap S1300i is designed to do," said Scott Francis, vice president of marketing, Fujitsu Computer Products of America, Inc. "From its ability to scan directly to multiple cloud-based services and mobile devices, to its PC and Mac compatibility, to its compact size, the ScanSnap S1300i allows consumers and business professions to be even more productive and paperless anywhere they go."
Simple, Versatile, Powerful
ScanSnap S1300i comes with software for PC and software for Mac so users who use both can optimize their ScanSnap for either platform, making the scanner even more portable and versatile when space is an issue. In-box software includes:
* ScanSnap Organizer (PC): Offers PC users a convenient way to store, manage and view PDF and JPEG files as well as perform post-scan editing, keyword entry and searchable PDF conversion.
* ScanSnap Manager (PC & Mac): Provides PC and Mac users one button searchable PDF creation, access to intelligent features and custom scan settings (profiles) for simple operation with sophisticated results.
* Efficient Business Card Scanning (PC & Mac): PC users can capture a business card, extract the information automatically and export it to Outlook, Excel, Salesforce and other contact management software. While Mac users can conveniently scan their business cards and export the contact information directly to Address Book or Outlook for Mac.
Additional Productivity Features
The next generation ScanSnap S1300i can be powered by USB (USB cables and AC power adaptor included) and provides the rich intelligence and productivity capabilities that have made the ScanSnap line an award-winning device. Key innovative features of the ScanSnap S1300i include:
* Automatic Quality: When Auto is selected under Image Quality, ScanSnap increases the resolution on small documents (A6 or smaller), helping ensure the fine-print on small documents remains legible and searchable.
* Mark Text Function: Users can utilize a standard highlighter pen on a black & white document to automatically create searchable keywords of the highlighted text, such as an invoice number or last name.
* ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap: ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap™ allows users to be productive by quickly transforming their paperwork into editable Word and Excel files at the push of a button.
* Grayscale Support: In addition to automatically detecting color and monochrome, users can now scan images or text in grayscale. This is especially important for small images or text within business cards and small receipts that typically includes fine print.
* Intelligent and Convenient Document Processing: Comes loaded with a full suite of intelligent scanning features, such as automatic paper size detection, automatic de-skew, orientation, and blank page detection & deletion, and the ability to scan a document up to 34 inches long, to support a wider range of documents, such as long grocery receipts or lengthy rental agreements. The Scanner is also equipped with a 10-page (letter size) automatic document feeder (ADF).
Pricing & Availability
The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i is available now for $295 (U.S. list) through Fujitsu authorized resellers, mail order catalogs.
Google Android 6.0
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300