Rural dwellers waiting for those promised DirecTV and ViaSat bundles can at last swing into action. The two have launched Exede satellite broadband bundles that slash the monthly internet access rates by $10 during the first year, and waive the $50 setup, in return for signing a 2-year satellite TV contract at a same time: the 10GB, 15GB and 25GB data tiers now cost a (slightly) more reasonable $40, $70 and $120 per month, respectively. The partnership doesn't represent a dramatic bargain, then, although it will let subscribers buy in through either DirecTV or ViaSat if they're already comfortable with either provider. Just be sure to act before the bundles' January 31st expiry date if one-stop satellite service is tempting.
DIRECTV and ViaSat Deliver Exede by ViaSat High-Speed Internet and Video Services Bundle
New Internet and Video Bundle Saves Consumers $170
El Segundo and Carlsbad, Calif. – Nov. 20, 2012 – Satellite industry leaders DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV) and ViaSat Inc. (NASDAQ: VSAT) have teamed up to introduce a new high-speed internet and video bundle to consumers. The offer provides DIRECTV video and ExedeSM by ViaSat satellite broadband service with no set up fee, and $10 per month savings for the first 12 months for a total savings of $170 off regular pricing. The bundle includes both award-winning satellite services and can now be purchased from DIRECTV or, for the first time, from ViaSat.
"Any consumer, anywhere can now enjoy an affordable, high-speed internet bundle that includes DIRECTV service," said Shannon Campain, senior vice president of Sales and Marketing Operations for DIRECTV. "By teaming up with Exede to offer this bundle of broadband packages of up to 12 Mbps, customers in rural and unserved markets no longer have to settle for slow DSL or dial-up service. By delivering the most robust bundle offering of any video provider, we open up more opportunities for further growth in these largely unserved areas."
"We are thrilled to be able to offer our customers a high-quality integrated TV and Internet bundle," said Lisa Scalpone, vice president of sales, marketing and business development for ViaSat. "This agreement benefits both Exede Internet and DIRECTV customers by providing one-stop shopping for customers looking to access high-speed broadband and a video package with more than 170 HD video channels."
ViaSat's Exede Internet is a leader in satellite internet service, utilizing breakthrough technology on the highest-capacity satellite in the world to provide speeds up to 12 Mbps, and is the only Internet service in the United States that includes a Late Night Free Zone, giving customers 100% unmetered usage from 12 midnight - 5 am, each night. The speed of Exede Internet service makes it very competitive with wireless home broadband service as well as legacy DSL and many cable services. The satellite Internet service brings together the highest capacity satellite in the world, next-generation ground equipment, and breakthrough web acceleration technology.
DIRECTV customers have access to a variety of DIRECTV programming and services, including:
· Access to more than 170 full-time High Definition (HD) channels.
· Exclusive sports programming packages, including NFL SUNDAY TICKET™.
· DIRECTV Everywhere, giving customers access to TV shows and movies anytime, anywhere, on TVs, laptops, tablets, and cell phones. Enjoy Hollywood blockbusters and hit shows On Demand wherever you are.
· DIRECTV Genie - DIRECTV's most advanced HD DVR, delivers a robust set of features that include, the ability to record up to five shows in HD at one time; three times more storage capacity than cable HD DVRs; a full HD DVR experience on every TV without the need for a receiver in every room; and will automatically select shows to record based on the viewer's taste.
· Up to 400 of the newest movie releases, some available months before Netflix® and Redbox®-all in 1080p HD, the same format as Blu-ray™. Plus instant access to up to 7,000 VOD shows and movies at no extra charge.
For more information about this offer, consumers can call 1.800.DIRECTV. Offer details can be found at www.directv.com and www.exede.com