When Eye-Fi first launched its wireless SD cards back in 2006, most of us weren't carrying smartphones, much less tablets. At the time, the idea was to send your photos straight from your camera to your PC, where you could run slideshows or upload them to the cloud (if you were already into that sort of thing). Lately, though, Eye-Fi has been forced to rethink its product: the company just announced the Mobi, a $50 Class 10 card that sends images directly to your mobile device, bypassing the computer altogether. Designed for people already used to storing pics on phones and tablets, it works with a free iOS / Android app that acts as an image viewer. To set it up, you enter a 10-digit activation code included in the packaging, which you can use with as many gadgets as you like. After that, the card will continuously send photos and video to your device. And because the Mobi is a hotspot unto itself, your gear doesn't all need to be on the same network, or even in range of a router.
The Mobi is available today, priced at $50 for 8GB and $80 for 16GB. For those of you who expect to do some heavy-duty editing, you can still buy Eye-Fi's existing X2 cards, which send images to PCs, and can handle both RAW and JPEG. Additionally, those pro-level cards can be configured to send different file formats to different locations. If that seems like overkill, though, the Mobi might be the better option -- it's not like you can't eventually get those photos off your phone, right?
High-Quality Photos and Videos Get Mobile and Social with Eye-Fi's New Mobi Card
Instant, Wireless Transfer from Digital Camera to Smartphones and Tablets
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., June 3, 2013 – Eye-Fi (www.eye.fi), the global leader in wireless memory cards, today launches Eye-Fi Mobi – the first card designed for the modern photo enthusiast to deliver high-quality digital photography combined with the convenience and connectivity of mobile devices. Mobi users can nowshare smarter, easier and faster, as their best photos and videos, from their favorite digital cameras, are instantly available on their smartphones or tablets.
"People like smartphones for taking pictures, mostly because of accessibility and instant sharing. Unfortunately, smartphones fall short for life's many moments that require zooming, high-speed shooting, low light and other features that make digital cameras superior," said Matt DiMaria, CEO of Eye-Fi. "Mobi is our simplest card yet, designed to provide photo lovers a no-compromises solution: the great quality pictures and videos of a digital camera and instant access on the smartphone to enjoy and share."
Mobi removes the hassle of transferring images so today's photographer can freely focus on taking beautiful, memorable photos. No more juggling devices, using a camera to capture quality images and then separately, taking similar, but inferior shots from a smartphone just to share. Simply replace any camera's standard SD card with Mobi, and just two quick steps later, the camera's photos instantly appear on the selected iOS or Android™ smartphone or tablet.
"Our research shows that the capabilities of Eye-Fi's Mobi cards are bridging a market gap: a majority of digital camera users are expressing interest in wireless transfer to mobile devices," commented Alan Bullock, associate director of InfoTrends. "Even more compelling is the data that many consumers say they would likely use their digital camera more if it had such a feature."
Editing and sharing photos are just as easy, because the higher quality images become part of the camera roll on the phone – ready for any favorite apps like Facebook, Instagram, Snapseed, Pixlr, and even a quick text or email. Any sharing, editing or display options people love about their phones and tablets are now easily used and enjoyed with their best photos and videos.
"Until now, sharing high-quality camera pictures while traveling meant waiting until the end of the day, or worse, waiting until the end of the trip to get images off my camera," says Francesco Rovetta, an avid Eye-Fi user and founder of Summit Stories, a philanthropic mountaineering project that helps disadvantaged children. "But with the Mobi card, I can take great pictures from places as remote as Mount Kilimanjaro, while still getting the real-time editing, sharing and backup of my phone. This new card connects my phone and camera so I can share my passion for photography in a way that's convenient and fun again."
Most notably, the new Eye-Fi Mobi lets photographers:
· Set up simply and instantly: The Mobi has the simplest Eye-Fi card setup yet – no computer, no account and no cloud. Just download the free Eye-Fi app for iOS or Android, enter the Mobi card's unique 10-digit code, and the mobile device is paired. Use the same code to pair as many mobile devices as needed.
· Share in real-time: High-resolution photos and videos instantly transfer from camera to a device's photo roll/gallery. From there, edit and share with any favorite apps.
· Transfer anywhere: Built-in WiFi means no WiFi network, hotspot or internet connection needed for pairing or transfer; Mobi literally captures photos and then copies them from camera to device anywhere, whenever new content is detected.
· Works with the devices users already own (and love): As with other Eye-Fi cards, Mobi works with thousands of cameras, including hundreds of Eye-Fi Connected cameras that have integrated Eye-Fi technology for improved usability. And, the Eye-Fi app can be downloaded for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, including the Kindle Fire.
· Back up automatically: Photos and videos transfer as they're taken, so if anything happens to the camera, content is already safe on themobile device.
· Exceptional quality and speed: Mobi reinforces Eye-Fi's commitment to provide state-of-the-art performance in SD memory. HD video, low light and fast action shots are easily captured with this Class 10, high-capacity card.
Eye-Fi will continue to provide wireless solutions for professional and amateur photographers with the Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB card, which has feature-rich capabilities like RAW upload support, wireless transfer to PC/Mac and optional integrated backup in the cloud.
The Mobi card will retail for $49.99 for the 8GB card and $79.99 for the 16GB card and is available now on through www.eye.fi, Amazon and in Best Buy stores nationwide. For more information about the Mobi card or Eye-Fi products and services, please visit www.eye.fi.