Looks like Google+ Local for iOS is destined to live a short life that'll end on August 7th. Mountain View recently sent out emails announcing its plan to axe the standalone app -- something you might've been expecting since its features were integrated into the latest version of Google Maps. Its functionality lives on as Explore on Maps, and you can still use it to find local establishments and read reviews by fellow users à la Yelp. As ratings and reviews are also preserved on Google+ profiles, the app's death won't mean much when you look for somewhere to go on a night out.
Google+ Local app for iOS will be retired on August 7th
We're emailing to announce that the Google+ Local app for iOS will be retired on August 7th, 2013.
The good news is that all features in the Google+ Local app are now available in Google Maps for Mobile on iOS devices:
• Search by categories of places, like "restaurants" or "coffee shops"
• Read place information, including written reviews, average price, address and Street View (where available)
• See what people in your Google+ circles have to say about their favorite places around the world
• Rate and review places you've been to
• Share places, locations and businesses you find
Learn more about Google Maps for iOS.
This means that after August 7th, you'll no longer be able to access the Google+ Local app through your iOS device. Any reviews and ratings that you created will be available on your Google+ profile and in the Google Maps iOS app.
Thank you for using Google+ Local for iOS.
The Google Maps Team