Dell Latitude E press shots
• Refreshed mainstream Latitude E-Family laptops unite enterprise-class control, design and collaboration for mobile computing needs
• New suite of management capabilities help customers simplify deployment, management and recovery of assets
• Dell Migration Services provides easy transition and deployment of Windows 7, with automated processes to help reduce costs
ROUND ROCK, Texas, April 8, 2010 – New additions to the line of popular Dell Latitude™ E-family laptops – and complementary software and services solutions- will make it simple and affordable for public and private sector organizations worldwide to refresh laptops.
Recent economic turmoil, technology shifts, hardware advances, and changing workforce needs have created an opportunity for CIOs to rethink their IT infrastructure status quo and unlock new efficiencies. This has created a situation in which many IT organizations are now facing aging client infrastructures that, while letting them save capital expenditures today, sets them up for far greater operational expenses in the future.
According to IDC, the industry can expect to see 27 percent growth in commercial laptops alone the next three years as organizations begin to realize the cost and impact of holding on to an aging infrastructure. [i]
"Companies have a great incentive to refresh today," said Bob O'Donnell, Program VP, Client Computing, IDC. "With new technologies such as Intel's processors and Microsoft Windows 7, CIOs can drive greater workforce efficiency and IT automation. In addition, a modern system running a modern operating system offers greater efficiencies when it comes to desktop virtualization, data protection, asset monitoring and remote management."
Dell Latitude E-Family
The award-winning Latitude E-Family line has been extended with the availability of the Latitude E6410, E6510 and E6410 ATG laptops. Based on direct feedback from customers, Dell improved reliability and durability while evolving the Latitude family. Enhancements include the addition of new Intel Core i5 and Corei7 processors, fast DDR3 memory, HD displays and other new features, bolstering a product lineup that already features breakthrough battery life and professional style – including a choice of three colors. Additionally, these new Latitude laptops offer a new Fast Response Free Fall Sensor with exclusive technology that can help prevent data loss from drops.
New additions to the Dell Latitude family support a range of usage needs:
• Mainstream – The dependable and stylish Dell™ Latitude™ E6410 and E6510 are 14.1-inch and 15.6-inch professional laptops, available now, that start at $1,129 and $1,164 USD, respectively. The systems, which include a 3-megapixel camera and optional discrete graphics from NVIDIA are designed for easy mobile collaboration and advanced productivity with feature advancements in manageability, durability and security that can help empower IT and lower total cost of ownership.
• Semi-Rugged – The Latitude E6410 ATG is a 14.1-inch semi-rugged laptop, engineered to increase productivity regardless of location or terrain. It is built and tested to meet the MIL STD 810G for shock, vibration, temperature, humidity and altitude.
Available as an option with select Latitude E-Family systems, Dell Latitude ON™ technology provides access to e-mail, calendar and contacts without needing to boot up. The technology, Latitude ON Flash, also supports virtual remote desktop control for flexible computing models. Additionally, select configurations of the Dell Latitude E6410 are qualified for Microsoft® Office Communicator.
With an emphasis on stability, inter-compatibility, global support and enterprise-class mobility features and systems management capabilities, the refreshed lineup of Dell Latitude E-Family laptops can reduce organizational costs while helping IT organizations drive towards greater client efficiency and control.
Designed with the Planet in Mind
These latest additions to the Latitude E-family continue the line's reputation for environmentally conscious design. Approximately 85 percent of an E-family laptop can be recycled, and they feature motherboards containing halogen-free laminates and plastics. Organizations can help reduce their own impact on the environment with Latitude's:
• Energy Smart power management settings for low energy consumption, which result in longer battery life;
• Inverted motherboard for improved thermals;
• ENERGY STAR and EPEAT certifications; and
• Energy-efficient LED displays and backlighting.
Client Energy Smart consulting services are also available to help optimize organizations' client-related power consumption.
More information on the Latitude E-Family can be found at www.dell.com/latitude.
Intelligent Management Solutions
Dell offers a comprehensive set of imaging and asset management solutions that help customers efficiently image, deploy, manage and recover assets to extend productivity and savings. To help customers manage their computing environments in the most efficient way, Dell allows them to manage on their terms with a Dell management offering or through Dell's industry-leading partners, automate management tasks or take advantage of lifecycle services.
Management Consoles – DMC, DDM, KACE KBOX Appliance
• Dell Management Console is available at no cost and helps customers manage their Dell commercial client laptops and desktops. The DMC streamlines desktop to datacenter infrastructure management and enables centralization, remote visibility and control, and common task automation.
• Dell Distributed Device Management (DDM) is a SaaS‐enabled solution that automates processes to help enable effective, real‐time management of commercial client PCs virtually, regardless of their location. DDM services include: Dell Asset Management, Dell Software Distribution, Dell Patch Management and Dell Anti‐Malware & Virus Management.
• The KACE KBOX Systems Management (KBOX 1000 Series) and Deployment (KBOX 2000 Series) Appliances (both physical and virtual appliances) provide mid-sized organizations comprehensive, end-to-end systems management and deployment capabilities via affordable and easy-to-use appliances.
Dell has developed tools to help customers image, deploy and manage laptops and desktops, including:, Dell Deployment Pack for System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) to help simplify deployment and Dell Update Catalog for SCCM to help simplify system updates.
Automation Tools – Helping customers drive efficiencies and get more value out of their consoles
Dell developed several utilities available at no cost that help customers automate several deployment and management tasks, including the following;
• Dell Client Systems Deployment CAB - A simplified file directory that has the latest drivers for a specific Dell commercial desktop or laptop to help greatly reduce the amount time spent building a complete software image.
• Client Configuration Toolkit – Software tool that helps enable IT to update and/or configure BIOS without a desk side visit either one-to-one or one-to-many
• OpenManage Client Instrumentation – A management tool that helps enable deep insights into assets to assess the health and state of components (processors, batteries, monitors, fans, etc.) in a system. It also helps third-party management consoles to communicate with Dell hardware.
• Dell Client System Update – Helping solve a leading driver for help desk calls, the easy-to-use tool scans a system's drivers and compares what is available on www.support.dell.com and updates the systems as needed. The tool can be scheduled to run on a regular basis and users can customize what updates are downloaded and installed. IT can set parameters for updates (schedule and define what is downloaded) via command line interface or script.
Dell offers a comprehensive of set of services that help you automate the deployment and management of commercial laptops and desktops, as well as the ability to help you securely dispose of outdated or retired assets. The modular services include:
• Deployment Services - End-to-end deployment services are designed to simplify and accelerate the customization and utilization of your new systems. Dell Deployment Services include everything from order consolidation to coordination of deployment resources.
• Managed Deployment - Services are for customers who need a complete, end-to-end deployment solution. Managed deployments are useful within complex logistical environments which require a single point of contact.
• Hardware Customization (CFI) - Services to help accelerate your system deployments. Dell can perform a range of services such as custom configuration, consolidation, and integration in our factory so that you can deploy your systems right out of the box.
• Asset Recovery Services - Safe and environmentally-appropriate disposal solutions for outdated or end-of-life IT assets. This service includes transportation, flexible logistics, equipment processing, detailed data security and environmental reports at an affordable price.
Dell Distributed Device Management is a SaaS‐enabled solution that automates processes to help enable effective, real‐time management of client PCs virtually, regardless of their location. This service utilizes a software agent that resides on each asset that collects information that is then transferred securely to the systems housed in the data centers. Dell Distributed Device Management services include:
• Dell Asset Management ‐ Enables you to discover, inventory, track and manage distributed desktop and notebook computers to help improve system‐wide security, risk management, and compliance.
• Dell Software Distribution ‐ Provides the ability to distribute and control software and versioning in dispersed desktop and notebook environments.
• Dell Patch Management ‐ Helps automate and centralize patch management processes to help ensure security and identify vulnerabilities.
• Dell Anti‐Malware & Virus Management ‐ Protects your PCs and helps ensure end‐point security by centrally deploying Symantec® and McAfee® anti‐virus software and updates for distributed desktop and notebook computers –whether or not they're on the corporate network.
Organizations also have the option of having Dell remotely manage the entire desktop environment using the Distributed Device Management Platform, providing Service Desk, onsite Field Service, along with additional services of choice, relieving IT organizations from the burden of desktop management and freeing them to work on mission critical, revenue generating projects.
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services they need and value. For more information, visit www.dell.com.