3DS, but one thing that hasn't changed are the tiny, easily lost cartridges. Enter Memorex's $20 Universal Game Selector Case, announced as part of its gaming accessory lineup for E3. The UGSC stores up to three games and hooks up to the cartridge port on any DS, letting you swap between them using a signal routing switch. We've seen cases similar to this in the past, but Memorex's take is the first to support 3DS titles as well. Based on the renders, the unit looks to make for a weird fit and some noticeable extra thickness (10.5mm to be exact), especially on the DSi XL, but hopefully we'll get a better idea of how it feels in hand at E3. From a functionality perspective, the case does seem rather useful for those with forgetful tendencies, if a bit underwhelming for anybody else. Memorex will also be displaying its new third-party PS3 and Wii motion controllers at the E3, which are viewable in the gallery below, and there's a press release with details after the break.
Gallery | 12 Photos
E3 2011: Memorex's WeTime gaming accessory line up
Memorex Unveils New Gaming Accessories at E3, As Parents Report Playing Video Games is a Top Family Activity
Memorex's family-friendly gaming accessories pack more features at a value price
OAKDALE, Minn. (June 1, 2011) – Memorex is helping reinvent family game night thanks to its new line of affordable, feature-packed gaming accessories compatible with a broad range of gaming consoles. The new accessories will be unveiled at Memorex booth no. 5538 during the 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), held June 7-9, 2011 in Los Angeles.
"From the latest in motion controllers and racing wheels to cutting-edge chargers and cases, Memorex is helping families enhance their gaming experience with user-inspired products at a price that won't hurt the pocketbook," said Erica Danielski, Memorex global brand manager. "Whether your family members are gaming gurus or new to the gaming arena, Memorex gaming accessories enhance at-home or on-the-go family gaming experiences and help create memorable WeTime family moments."
NEW WETIME GAMING ACCESSORIES FROM MEMOREX
• With its rubberized grips and concave buttons, the Memorex Motion Gaming Controller for PlayStation® 3 is fully compatible with PlayStation Move™ games and allows for a full range of motion, giving gamers the most comfortable, realistic gaming experience possible. Featuring a high-gloss black finish and cool blue LEDs to help you game in style, the Motion Gaming Controller makes it easy for every member of the family to play. [MSRP: $39.99]
• The ideal companion to the Motion Gaming Controller, the Sidekick Gaming Controller for PlayStation® 3 is a must-have for family gaming. Featuring cool blue LEDs, rubberized grips, concave buttons, a 360-degree directional pad and a high-gloss black finish, the Sidekick Gaming Controller offers a significant range of motion and hours of fun for family gamers. [MSRP: $19.99]
• The Memorex Universal Game Selector Case for Nintendo® DS™ is compatible with all Nintendo DS consoles and helps families avoid losing their games while making it easy to switch between titles. The innovative design enables players to store and switch between up to three games without removing the cartridges from the storage compartment. Powered by the console with no batteries needed, this product provides a true plug and play experience. [MSRP: $19.99]
• One of the lightest standard size controllers in the marketplace, the Memorex Game Controller Plus for Nintendo® Wii™ features integrated MotionPlus™ technology without the need for an adaptor. Ergonomically designed, the controller's perforated grips and rubberized 360-degree directional pad allow for a more comfortable and responsive gaming experience, while LED backlighting and stylish colors add a modern touch. Available in black, metallic pink and metallic blue. [MSRP $29.99]
• The Memorex Wireless Sidekick Gaming Controller for Nintendo® Wii™ features an integrated rechargeable battery and provides a fully wireless gaming experience with any Nintendo Wii game requiring a Nunchuk™. Ergonomic grips add comfort to the gaming experience, while LED backlighting adds an element of style. Available in black, metallic pink and metallic blue. [MSRP $24.99]
GAMING IS A FAMILY AFFAIR
Playing video games together is the No. 3 most popular family activity – behind only watching television/movies and cooking, baking or grilling – according to a national survey of parents from Memorex*. Additional findings include:
• While playing video games is great entertainment for kids, it's also a fun activity for parents. The only consumer electronics children use more often than their parents are video game accessories. About 2 in 3 children (67 percent) and 3 in 5 parents (61 percent) play some type of video game every few days.
• Many video games create opportunities for families to have fun together. Four in five parents say that video games are conducive to WeTime. Of families who own a video game console, 88 percent play video games together.
• When asked what type of video game is most conducive to family WeTime, 1 in 5 parents said sports. Many parents also found board (12 percent), music (8 percent) and action (6 percent) video games conducive to WeTime.
"The philosophy at Memorex is one that a lot of parents can relate to: compare and save," said Danielski. "Compared to other gaming accessories, Memorex offers better features and a more ergonomic, durable, stylish design – at a price that will save families money."
Memorex produces a broad range of gaming accessories for most family-friendly consoles, including Nintendo® Wii™ and DS™, Sony PlayStation® 3 and PlayStation® Portable, and XBOX 360™.
For additional information, please visit our website (www.memorex.com) or our Facebook Fan Page (www.Facebook.com/MemorexFans).
*Memorex conducted an online survey of 1,010 parents (men and women ages 25-54 with at least one child under age 18 living in their home) between Dec. 13-15, 2010. The nationwide sample was obtained by Research Now.