Moving on, the carrier's first 4G LTE mobile hotspot device (yeah, that'd be the AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G) will include a 1.77-inch display for showing just how few megabytes you have left on your plan, support for five simultaneous connections and the ability to seamlessly hop between HSPA+ and LTE. AT&T will begin selling the AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G for $49.99 with two-year contract after a $50 mail-in-rebate, while the Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G will be available for $69.99 with a similar deal. The company's not going any further than stating a "summer" ship date, and despite our pleading, we can't get anything more solid out of 'em. Naturally, it'll be folks in Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta and San Antonio enjoying the LTE spoils first, with ten more cities to be blessed by the end of the year. Too bad it's still not saying what kind of scratch will be required on a month-to-month basis.
New 4G LTE-Compatible USBConnect and Mobile Hotspot Devices Coming This Summer
Dallas, Texas, July 12, 2011
* AT&T* customers can soon purchase two new 4G LTE devices1, the AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G and AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G.
* The AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G features plug-and-play installation of AT&T Communication Manager and access to AT&T's entire national Wi-Fi network.2
* The AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G includes a 1.77-inch display and connects up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices to the Internet.
* Both devices offer an expandable memory slot that supports microSD cards up to 32 GB and global connectivity with data roaming in more than 200 countries.3
* AT&T plans to launch 4G LTE service in five markets this summer – Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio - and extend it to at least 15 markets and to cover 70 million Americans by the end of 2011.
With plug-and-play installation that takes about 60 seconds to complete on WindowsAT&T Mobile Hotspot 4G computers, AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G customers can access 4G LTE speeds, where available, and when out of range have access to AT&T's nationwide HSPA+ network, delivering 4G speeds when combined with enhanced backhaul. They can also take advantage of unlimited usage on AT&T's entire national Wi-Fi network if using a post-paid data plan, and manage their connections and data usage with the preloaded AT&T Communication Manager.
The company's first 4G LTE mobile hotspot device, the AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G, allows access to 4G LTE speeds on up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices in select markets. Email, browse, download presentations and more when you're out and about – without skipping a beat no matter if you are on LTE or AT&T's nationwide HSPA+ network. With no software to install and an LCD screen to guide you, setting up AT&T Mobile Hotspot is fast and easy. Just power it up and connect your laptop using the Wi-Fi network name and security key displayed on the screen. Easily view device and connection status on the LCD, including battery status, signal strength, and data usage.
In addition to 4G speeds and an expandable memory slot, both Sierra Wireless-manufactured devices support global connectivity in more than 200 countries at international roaming rates.
"AT&T recognizes that customers want a consistent, responsive network performance from major cities to their neighborhood. Our deployment of 4G LTE technology backed by our nationwide HSPA+ network allows us to give customers a superior mobile broadband experience today and for years to come," said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Devices, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "As we begin to roll out our 4G LTE network this year, AT&T customers will be able to choose from several new LTE devices, starting with the AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G and AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G."
Price and Availability
AT&T will begin selling the AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G in black and silver for $49.99 with two-year contract after a $50 mail-in-rebate. The AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G will be available in black for $69.99 with 2-year contract and after a $50 mail-in rebate. AT&T expects both devices will be available this summer online and in company-owned retail stores.
AT&T recently announced plans to roll out its 4G LTE network in five markets – Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio – later this summer. Customers with compatible devices and 4G LTE coverage in those markets will be able to enjoy access to 4G LTE speeds as AT&T's 4G LTE network is turned up.
As AT&T rolls out 4G LTE, customers outside of its 4G LTE footprint will have access to AT&T's HSPA+ network. When combined with enhanced backhaul, HSPA+ enables 4G speeds that are up to four times faster than AT&T's already fast mobile broadband speeds. Because AT&T has taken the extra step of deploying HSPA+ technology with enhanced backhaul, its customers will have access to consistently fast mobile broadband speeds when moving out of 4G LTE areas.
By the end of 2011, AT&T plans to offer 4G LTE to customers in at least 15 markets, covering 70 million Americans. In addition, the company plans to add 20 4G devices to its portfolio this year, with some of those being LTE compatible.
Learn more about AT&T's LTE network, the AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G and AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G at http://www.att.com/, www.att.com/attusbconnectmomentum4g and www.att.com/attmobilehotspotelevate4g.
AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G Specifications
* LTE (700/AWS)
* HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS (850/1900/2100 MHz)
* EDGE/GPRS (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
* Expandable Memory: MicroSD up to 32 GB
* GPS capable
* Dimensions: 2.6' L x 1.02' W x 0.51' H
* Weight: Approximately 1.06 ounces
* OS Support: Apple® Mac® OS (v10.5 or later), Microsoft ® Windows® 7, Vista®, XP SP3 (32 bit only)
AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G Specifications
* LTE (700/AWS)
* HSPA+/HSPA (850/1900/2100 MHz)
* EDGE/GPRS (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
* Wi-Fi® 802.11 b/g/n
* WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) enabled
* Display: 1.77 inches, 160x128 pixels color LCD
* Web UI for settings and advanced features
* GPS capable
* Dimensions: 3.8" L x 2.2" W x 0.7" D
* Weight: 3.6 ounces
* Battery: 1800 mAh
* Expandable Memory: MicroSD™ up to 32 GB
* Use time: Up to 5hours
* Supported OS: Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, Windows XP, Mac® OS (v10.5 or later), Ubuntu Linux® 9.04
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
1. Limited 4GLTE availability in select markets. 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ (with enhanced backhaul) and LTE, where available. Compatible data plan required. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Learn more at att.com/network.
2. Access includes AT&T Wi-Fi Basic. Other restrictions apply. See www.attwifi.com for details and locations.
3. International Roaming: Requires compatible device. Availability, quality of coverage and service while roaming are not guaranteed. International roaming rates apply outside the U.S.